Dashboards & Visualizations

Multiselect and input field with any field

Stopplis
Explorer

Hello,

I have a dashboard with multiselection + text input field. 

<form version="1.1" theme="light">
  <label>Multiselect Text</label>
  <init>
    <set token="toktext">*</set>
  </init>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="multiselect" token="tokselect">
      <label>Field</label>
      <choice value="category">Group</choice>
      <choice value="severity">Severity</choice>
      <default>category</default>
      <valueSuffix>=REPLACE</valueSuffix>
      <delimiter> OR </delimiter>
      <prefix>(</prefix>
      <suffix>)</suffix>
      <change>
        <eval token="tokfilter">replace($tokselect$,"REPLACE","\"".$toktext$."\"")</eval>
      </change>
    </input>
    <input type="text" token="toktext">
      <label>Value</label>
      <default>*</default>
      <change>
        <eval token="tokfilter">replace($tokselect$,"REPLACE","\"".$toktext$."\"")</eval>
      </change>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <event>
        <title>$tokfilter$</title>
        <search>
          <query>| makeresults</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </event>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

Everything is working properly, so if I add something in the input 'Value' field then select an option from the multiselect tab 'Field' the search is looking for e.g. category="something" OR severity="something".
I need help to build a plus multiselect option which is able to search for the string value defined in the text field anywhere in the event. 

I can imagine like this:

If I select the 'Group' and type 'something' into the input field, the search is looking for category="something", but if I select the 'Any Field' and type 'something' into the input field, the search is looking for only "something".

Could you please help to modify this dashboard in this direction?

Thank you so much in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First you need to add the "Any field" choice. Then you need to reset the form token depending on whether the last choice has been removed (use default value), whether "Any field" has been added after another selection (make "Any field" the only selection), whether another selection has been made after "Any field" (remove "Any field" from the selection, otherwise leave the form token as is. Then you need to reset the token if the form token is "Any field" (so that it just contains "REPLACE". Now, the existing setting of the filter token can replace "REPLACE" with the value from the text input:

<init>
  </init>
      <label>Field</label>
      <choice value="Any field">Any field</choice>
      <prefix>(</prefix>
      <suffix>)</suffix>
      <change>
        <eval token="form.tokselect">case(mvcount('form.tokselect')=0,"category",mvcount('form.tokselect')&gt;1 AND mvfind('form.tokselect',"Any field")&gt;0,"Any field",mvcount('form.tokselect')&gt;1 AND mvfind('form.tokselect',"Any field")=0,mvfilter('form.select'!="Any field"),1==1,'form.tokselect')</eval>
        <eval token="tokselect">if('form.tokselect'="Any field","REPLACE",'tokselect')</eval>
      </change>
    </input>
      <label>Value</label>
      <default>*</default>
      <change>
      </change>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <event>
        <search>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </event>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First you need to add the "Any field" choice. Then you need to reset the form token depending on whether the last choice has been removed (use default value), whether "Any field" has been added after another selection (make "Any field" the only selection), whether another selection has been made after "Any field" (remove "Any field" from the selection, otherwise leave the form token as is. Then you need to reset the token if the form token is "Any field" (so that it just contains "REPLACE". Now, the existing setting of the filter token can replace "REPLACE" with the value from the text input:

<init>
  </init>
      <label>Field</label>
      <prefix>(</prefix>
      <suffix>)</suffix>
      <change>
        <eval token="form.tokselect">case(mvcount('form.tokselect')=0,"category",mvcount('form.tokselect')&gt;1 AND mvfind('form.tokselect',"Any field")&gt;0,"Any field",mvcount('form.tokselect')&gt;1 AND mvfind('form.tokselect',"Any field")=0,mvfilter('form.select'!="Any field"),1==1,'form.tokselect')</eval>
        <eval token="tokselect">if('form.tokselect'="Any field","REPLACE",'tokselect')</eval>
      </change>
    </input>
      <label>Value</label>
      <default>*</default>
      <change>
      </change>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <event>
        <search>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </event>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>
0 Karma

Stopplis
Explorer

Thank you, that's what I thought.

Small question about this part:

If I want to modify the value of the fields at here:

Should I modify these values in the above code as well?

So e.g. if I want the category value to be group. I have to modify the 'category' to 'group' at this part like this:

<eval token="form.tokselect">case(mvcount('form.tokselect')=0,"group",mvcount

Am I correct?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Essentially, yes. The value set when the multi-select is emptied should be the default value you configured. If you are changing the default from category to group, then it needs to change in the case function too.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Meet Duke Cyberwalker | A hero’s journey with Splunk

We like to say, the lightsaber is to Luke as Splunk is to Duke. Curious yet? Then read Eric Fusilero’s latest ...

The Future of Splunk Search is Here - See What’s New!

We’re excited to introduce two powerful new search features, now generally available for Splunk Cloud Platform ...

Splunk is Nurturing Tomorrow’s Cybersecurity Leaders Today

Meet Carol Wright. She leads the Splunk Academic Alliance program at Splunk. The Splunk Academic Alliance ...