Dashboards & Visualizations

Menu bar with conditional items depending on installed apps

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I want a master app to have menus that appear when other apps are installed.

Now Splunk will not display a menu item if its dashboard does not exist, e.g.

<view name="my_dashboard"/>

means that for the app "my_app", the file /app/my_app/(default|local)/data/ui/views/my_dashboard.xml must exist, otherwise that dashboard will not show in the menu.

What I want is to be able to do something like

<view name="my_second_app:my_second_dashboard"/>

(like you can reference stylesheets and script files from another app within a dashboard of a different app)

so that if the app "my_second_app" is installed, it will show that item on the menu, but if not, it wont. The only way I can seem to get dashboards from other apps is with the

<a href="href">

syntax, which of course will not hide non installed items.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bowesmana instead of using navigation default.xml, can you create a prebuilt panel with menu options built using Simple XML and REST API so that you can control which navigation option to show and which one to hide? Then include prebuilt panel in all your dashboards?

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks @niketn - that's an idea - I'll look into that. 

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bowesmana it would be a combination of following 2 answers of mine

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/How-to-pass-a-dashboard-as-value-in-dropdo...

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/Report-of-Dashboard/td-p/492121

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...