Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a way to add a tool tip or just add descriptions on the dashboards home page so users know what each dashboard does?

paduka
Path Finder

Hi Everyone,

We have a lot of dashboards and the users are finding it difficult to understand what the dashboards do without clicking on the dashboards.

Is there a way of providing a tool tip with dashboard description or just add some description in the home page so that people know what the dashboard does?

Thanks,
Paduka

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By home page do you mean the "Dashboards" page of Splunk OR you created your own home page?

0 Karma

paduka
Path Finder

I mean the dashboards page of Splunk.

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI Paduka, Yup, each dashboard has a "description" field that can be set, and when in the "dashboards" view of an app (app/appname/dashboards), each dashboard has the opportunity to be expanded. You don't get a mouse-over tooltip or anything, but the description will be available in the dropdown. In this way, if the name of the dashboard is interesting, they can click the dropdown to get more info.

Beyond that, my advice is to be fairly verbose with the dashboard name.

Please let me know if this answers you question 😄

paduka
Path Finder

Hi Muebel,

I have added descriptions to the dashboards. I want to be informative before they get into the dashboard so that they know what the dashboard does before going into it. The challenge for us is that you can only be so much verbose with the name and having additional information will always help.

Thanks!

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Cool, so when the user clicks the dropdown, they will have access to the description of the dashboard 😄

0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

go and modify the title of your dashboard

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...