Dashboards & Visualizations

How to troubleshoot this Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed?

Druffin1
Engager

I am trying to execute a Dashboard in splunk and I'm getting this error message. It has to do time. Be is the code. Im new to splunk and having a issue with formatting the eval function. I had to commit out the CASE number but see if you can find out why the eval sttament is not woring in the query

index="salesforce" source="/informatica/pmrootdir/Splunk_SFDC_Logs/*-eventlogfile-splunk.csv" host="louapplps2024" CASE(xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) earliest=-7d latest=now (EVENT_TYPE="ApexExecution") QUIDDITY IN (R,V,W,H,X,M,L,K,I,E) IS_LONG_RUNNING_REQUEST=1 | dedup REQUEST_ID | eval oraDbTime=IF(!isnull(sdbDbTime),round(oraDbTime/1000000,0),oraDbTime) | eval dbCpuTime=IF(!isnull(sdbDbTime),round(dbCpuTime/1000000,0),dbCpuTime) | eval sdbDbTime=round(sdbDbTime/1000000,0) | eval reqIsNull=IF(isnull(requestId) AND entryPoint="TRIGGERS","YES","NO")| where reqIsNull="NO" | eval permitTime= (runTime-5000) | eval permitTimeInSecs= (permitTime/1000) | eval runTimeInSecs= (runTime/1000) | eval endTime=_time | eval startTime=(_time-runTimeInSecs) | eval conTime=(_time-permitTimeInSecs)
$org_token$ EVENT_TYPE="LightningPageView" OR EVENT_TYPE="LightningPerformance" APP_NAME="siteforce:communityApp" $userId$ $app$ | timechart span=$timespan$ dc(USER_ID) as Views

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is the value of org_token as it seems to have been appended to the eval command - is this the eval command in question?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

It's helpful if you post your search inside the code tags like below.  That may help you troubleshoot as well.  At a glance, I would say whatever is happening after your last eval is the problem.  Looks like maybe some tokens from the dashboard are just shoved in a random condition down there?

And you can always start eliminating pipes until the error goes away which can help you determine which one is problematic.  For example, remove the timehart and run the search.  Then the last eval, run the search....then next to last eval and so on.  

index="salesforce" source="/informatica/pmrootdir/Splunk_SFDC_Logs/*-eventlogfile-splunk.csv" host="louapplps2024" CASE(xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) earliest=-7d latest=now (EVENT_TYPE="ApexExecution") QUIDDITY IN (R,V,W,H,X,M,L,K,I,E) IS_LONG_RUNNING_REQUEST=1 
| dedup REQUEST_ID 
| eval oraDbTime=IF(!isnull(sdbDbTime),round(oraDbTime/1000000,0),oraDbTime) 
| eval dbCpuTime=IF(!isnull(sdbDbTime),round(dbCpuTime/1000000,0),dbCpuTime) 
| eval sdbDbTime=round(sdbDbTime/1000000,0) 
| eval reqIsNull=IF(isnull(requestId) AND entryPoint="TRIGGERS","YES","NO")
| where reqIsNull="NO" 
| eval permitTime= (runTime-5000) 
| eval permitTimeInSecs= (permitTime/1000) 
| eval runTimeInSecs= (runTime/1000) 
| eval endTime=_time 
| eval startTime=(_time-runTimeInSecs) 
| eval conTime=(_time-permitTimeInSecs)
$org_token$ EVENT_TYPE="LightningPageView" OR EVENT_TYPE="LightningPerformance" APP_NAME="siteforce:communityApp" $userId$ $app$ 
| timechart span=$timespan$ dc(USER_ID) as Views

0 Karma

Druffin1
Engager

The code runs when I use the search option

0 Karma

Druffin1
Engager

I have tried it and I am still getting he same error

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is the value of org_token as it seems to have been appended to the eval command - is this the eval command in question?

0 Karma

Druffin1
Engager

Issue has been solved

0 Karma

Druffin1
Engager

Yes my issue has been solved

0 Karma

Druffin1
Engager

How do I check the Org_Token

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It will be set somewhere in your dashboard - you could try adding it to title of a panel to see what the value is

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...