Dashboards & Visualizations

How to translate things written in JavaScript (buttons, texts)?

SJanasek
Path Finder

hey there!
I need your help.
I want to translate an application. Already followed this guideline http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/AdvancedDev/TranslateSplunk , but this does not help me to translate buttons or texts written in JS.

0 Karma
1 Solution

JMichaelis
Path Finder

Hi SJanasek,

the TranslateSplunk i18n-functionality does indeed not extract/translate site content in JS. I've found a way to use it either way:

You have to add the entries in your messages.mo / po by hand and have to follow the guidelines you've linked regarding file placement.

You then have to add the following to your js:

require([
'splunk.i18n',
], function(..., i18n) {

Now you are able to use i18n._("variable_name")in your code when naming buttons/labels and so on. The function will return the value defined by the used language and the variable_name in your .po.

Best regards,
Jens

View solution in original post

JMichaelis
Path Finder

Hi SJanasek,

the TranslateSplunk i18n-functionality does indeed not extract/translate site content in JS. I've found a way to use it either way:

You have to add the entries in your messages.mo / po by hand and have to follow the guidelines you've linked regarding file placement.

You then have to add the following to your js:

require([
'splunk.i18n',
], function(..., i18n) {

Now you are able to use i18n._("variable_name")in your code when naming buttons/labels and so on. The function will return the value defined by the used language and the variable_name in your .po.

Best regards,
Jens

vaneetsin
Engager

@JMichaelis 
just like you mentioned, I have successfully translated things written in javascript to japanese language. But I am stuck where I need to translate token values to japanese. I have a token in the dashboard that has value “validation error” and this token is used to display a warning message on input text.
Below is snippet of token in xml, $vuln_input_error$ is the token that I set elsewhere in same xml.
————
<row id=“row1”>
<html depends=“$vuln_input_error$” id=“vuln_error_msg”>
<div id=“vuln_error_container”><code>$vuln_input_error$</code></div></html>
———-
Using the same approach that you have described, I have tried with i18n in js, but token value does not get translated as expected. Do you have an idea on how to translate token values in splunk?

0 Karma

SJanasek
Path Finder

can you give me a more detailed description please?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...