Dashboards & Visualizations

How to set up an alert to detect login abuse and credential leaks using geographical and timing data?

patpro
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm a SPLUNK beginner and I would need some help finding a way to achieve my goal.
I gather various login events: user login on the SSO web portal, POP/IMAP access, SSH login, etc. Each kind of event comes from a different source, but for every one I get a timestamp, a user login, and an IP address.
I would like to be able to detect when:

• the same user login is used from two (or more) locations,
  • far from each other (say 500km),
  • in a given time window (say 5 hours).

I've found similar interests in calculation of distance between events here on splunk>answers, but none goes as far as what I need. The calculation itself is only one aspect. I'm confident SPLUNK can handle this, but I'm not sure about the bigger picture. I have no idea how to proceed to create a dynamic time window for each successful user login, for example.

Ultimately I need the process to act as a real-time trigger for security alert.

I'm pretty sure it's very complex, and I don't expect a all-in-one solution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

patpro
Path Finder

I've found a very interesting blog post dealing with this exact same question. The approach is smart: instead of using a time window, the request calculates the speed needed to move from one location to another. It simplifies the process a lot.

http://www.sedward5.com/detecting-credential-theft-using-splunk-geographic-information

Now I just need to learn how to create an alert based on query result.

View solution in original post

patpro
Path Finder

I've found a very interesting blog post dealing with this exact same question. The approach is smart: instead of using a time window, the request calculates the speed needed to move from one location to another. It simplifies the process a lot.

http://www.sedward5.com/detecting-credential-theft-using-splunk-geographic-information

Now I just need to learn how to create an alert based on query result.

sedward5
Engager

Thanks for sharing my blog. 😃

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...