Dashboards & Visualizations

How to plot a trellis chart showing the average time spent on a website?

splunkis0927
Engager

Hi Community, 

If i need Plot a trellis chart showing the average time spent on a website for each user session by browser

what's the best approach for this ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkis0927,

everything in Splunk is a search, so you have to create a search to have the result that you need, then you can choose the way to show your results (e.g. Trellis).

At first you have to find the results to aggregate and then aggregate them using some stremeing command like stats, something like this:

index=your_index sourcetype=your_sourcetype
| stats count BY session_id

when you have the results as a table, you can use the gui fetures of Splunk to choose the chart you like and the Trellis.

But As I said, Trellins and chart type is a secondary issue: secondary for importance and scheduling.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkis0927
Engager

splunkis0927_0-1657090774239.png

thanks for the help. here is the output I am going to try,  but atm i am not sure how to aggregate these browsers in a table

splunkis0927_1-1657090835235.png

splunkis0927_2-1657090871592.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkis0927,

the search you used is without sense!

you have to choose to use transaction ( I use it only when I don't have any other solution because it's a very slow command!) or stats.

In addition, you could also use timechart but only if you have one field for grouping (e.g. only JSESSIONID or clientip).

Then if you use _time in stats, you have also to use bin otherwise in this way you have groups that differs for a second.

try something like this:

index=main "http://www.buttercupgames"
| bin span=1h _time
| stats count BY SESSIONID clientip _time

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Tags (1)
0 Karma

splunkis0927
Engager

Thank you so much !!

I think I have the data now, but not sure how to  Plot a trellis chart showing the average time for
each user session by browser

splunkis0927_0-1657117463195.png

splunkis0927_1-1657117475162.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...