Dashboards & Visualizations

How to pass drop down token

MeMilo09
Path Finder

Hi Guys,

I got my query right and I see my values properly populate on the dropdown input. However, I cant pass this token to populate my query on to the next query. Is there something wrong with my xml? 

<input type="dropdown" token="sourceName" searchWhenChanged="true">

<label>Select SourceName</label>

<choice value="*">All</choice>

<default>*</default>

<fieldForLabel>sourcename</fieldForLabel>

<fieldForValue>sourcename</fieldForValue>

<search>

<query>index="example_of_idx" sourcename=Service_Requested OR sourcename=Service_Suggested | stats count by sourcename  | replace  Service_Requested WITH "Type of Service"  Service_Suggested WITH "Type of Service Suggested" IN sourcename | table sourcename </query>

</search>

</input>
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your query search seems to only return two values "Service_Requested" and "Service_Suggested" (assuming they exist in example_of_idx), which you then replace with phrases with embedded spaces. If you are using these values (with embedded spaces), are you protecting the spaces e.g. do you use the token filter |s to wrap the token value in quotes? Also, do you actually want the replacement string passed or is that really just for the dropdown? If it is for the dropdown, you should do something like this:

<default>*</default>
      <fieldForLabel>label</fieldForLabel>
      <search>
        <query>index="example_of_idx" sourcename=Service_Requested OR sourcename=Service_Suggested | stats count by sourcename | eval label=sourcename | replace  Service_Requested WITH "Type of Service"  Service_Suggested WITH "Type of Service Suggested" IN label | table sourcename label</query>
      </search>
    </input>

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your query search seems to only return two values "Service_Requested" and "Service_Suggested" (assuming they exist in example_of_idx), which you then replace with phrases with embedded spaces. If you are using these values (with embedded spaces), are you protecting the spaces e.g. do you use the token filter |s to wrap the token value in quotes? Also, do you actually want the replacement string passed or is that really just for the dropdown? If it is for the dropdown, you should do something like this:

<default>*</default>
      <fieldForLabel>label</fieldForLabel>
      <search>
        <query>index="example_of_idx" sourcename=Service_Requested OR sourcename=Service_Suggested | stats count by sourcename | eval label=sourcename | replace  Service_Requested WITH "Type of Service"  Service_Suggested WITH "Type of Service Suggested" IN label | table sourcename label</query>
      </search>
    </input>

MeMilo09
Path Finder

Thanks!  @ITWhisperer  the eval command did fixed the problem. 

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you please share your sample XML? So we can check which token you are using at what place and other things.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...