Dashboards & Visualizations

How to monitor Splunk dashboard usage using internal Splunk log files?

tries
Path Finder

I have a dashboard with the following specs and like to see how often this dashboard is used :

SPECS (Dashboard):
1 input (text) - where user can type in a email address
~20 search panels which generates charts/reports depending on the email address which is typed into the input field

I like to monitor, using the internal Splunk log files, how often the dashboard is used. Each time the dashboard is used with a filled input the count should be increased by one.

Example (for new usage):
- User is typing in manually a new email address inside the dashboard
- User is using a link to the open that dashboard where an email address is already included as a parameter

I didn't find a proper way yet. I thought this muss be possible using the _internal Splunk log files but it didn't seem so. I tried using the web_access.log and remote_searches.log but both sources couldn't show me a valid result.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Thorsten

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

With the assumption that the events in the logs that are within 2 minutes of eachother this should give you the infor you want. replace <myappname> and <mydashboard> with the appropriate app_name and dashboard_name.

index=_internal source=*/web_access.log*
| search "/app/" AND "POST"
|rex "\/\/\w+\:\d{4}\/en-US\/app\/(?<app>\w+)\/(?<view_name>\w+)"
|search app="<myappname>" AND view_name="<mydashboard>"
| transaction referer maxspan=2m
|table _time,app,view_name,user,form_email

or

index=_internal source=*/web_access.log*
| search "/app/" AND "POST"
|rex "\/\/\w+\:\d{4}\/en-US\/app\/(?<app>\w+)\/(?<view_name>\w+)"
|search app="<myappname>" AND view_name="<mydashboard>"
| transaction referer maxspan=2m |timechart count(form_email) by user

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...