Dashboards & Visualizations

How to hide empty columns in a table on a simple XML dashboard?

djluke
Path Finder

Hi all,
I'm going crazy with a table in Splunk.
What I'm trying to do is to dynamically create a table based on non null fields in my events.
I'm using a Simple XML dashboard.
This is the environment:

Event1: _time  fieldA=<valueA>  fieldB=<valueB>  fieldC=<valueC>  fieldD=<valueD>  fieldE=<valueE>
Event2: _time  fieldA=<valueA>  fieldB=<valueB>  fieldC=<valueC>  fieldF=<valueF>  fieldG=<valueG>
Event3: ...

If I use a search string like this

index=<my_index> fieldD=<valueD> | table *

The generated table appears like

_time    fieldA    fieldB    fieldC    fieldD    fieldE    fieldF    fieldG
<time>   <valueA>  <valueB>  <valueC>  <valueD>  <valueE>

Why does Splunk show the empty columns too?
How can I change my search to solve this issue?
Maybe it seems an easy thing but I'm not finding a solution.
Help me please! 🙂

nida__firdous

@djluke

add this query end of your query .

| streamstats count as temp_count
  | stats values(*) as * by temp_count
  | fields - temp_count
0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

With a search such as ……. ….|table *** If you desire for exemle to remove a Colum on the displayed result, you can transform your search to **...|table * |fields – fieldName where fieldName is the field you don’t want to display.
You can do it for many fields at once like this ….|table * |fields – fieldName1, fieldName2,…

This is an exemple that display all fields except the fields host an index

index=* |table *|fields - host ,index

0 Karma

djluke
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer.
I already knew there was the possibility to "filter" results using the fields command, but my question was related to the results shown by "table" command.
I can't predict which columns will be empty or filled before launching the search function. I'd like splunk to show me only NOT NULL columns.
Is it possible?
Thanks

0 Karma

splunk_newer1
Engager

Hi, 

I am also facing this issue of displaying  only NOT NULL columns. in splunk table.

Can someone help in this?

thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...