Dashboards & Visualizations

How to have a panel use an offset from a time picker

FeatureCreeep
Path Finder

I would like let a user use a timepicker to look at a problem period in a timechart and then I'd like to display another timechart below it with the same data but a week earlier for comparison. I can't put the data in the same timechart because there are too many metrics to display.

How can I make the bottom panel use an offset from the timepicker? I've tried to modify the XML like this:

<earliest>$tokenTIme.earliest$-7d</earliest>
<latest>$tokenTIme.latest$-7d</latest>

I've also tried to modify the search by doing something like this:

index=a source=b earliest=$tokenTIme.earliest$-7d latest=$tokenTIme.latest$-7d

Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the second panel, use the current timerange picker as earliest and latest, so that both panels are using same time range.

<earliest>$tokenTIme.earliest$</earliest>
 <latest>$tokenTIme.latest$</latest>

Now, in the search of panel 2, we'll override the timerange from timerange picker values using a subsearch

index=a source=b [| gentimes start=-1 | addinfo | eval earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-7d") | eval latest=relative_time( info_max_time, "-7d") | table earliest latest | format "" "" "" "" "" "" ] |...rest of the search

The addinfo command in the subsearch will give value of current earliest and latest (from time range picker) as info_min_time and info_max_time respectively.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the second panel, use the current timerange picker as earliest and latest, so that both panels are using same time range.

<earliest>$tokenTIme.earliest$</earliest>
 <latest>$tokenTIme.latest$</latest>

Now, in the search of panel 2, we'll override the timerange from timerange picker values using a subsearch

index=a source=b [| gentimes start=-1 | addinfo | eval earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-7d") | eval latest=relative_time( info_max_time, "-7d") | table earliest latest | format "" "" "" "" "" "" ] |...rest of the search

The addinfo command in the subsearch will give value of current earliest and latest (from time range picker) as info_min_time and info_max_time respectively.

FeatureCreeep
Path Finder

Wow, that's clever and worked perfectly! I've learned 2 new commands and an awesome technique. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...