Dashboards & Visualizations

How to group the errors that come between 2 events?

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

We have a couple of processes that runs regularly and I want to capture the errors and groups them run wise and date wise. I tried with transactions but its not splitting run wise and gave all the errors in the same group. Please help thanks

LogDate = "01/28/2022 03:00:47.417" , LogNo = "133" , LogLevel = "INFO" , LogType = "Bot End" , LogMessage = "Logger Session Stopped; Total run time: 0:17:22.002" , TimeTaken = "0:00:00.500" , ProcessName = "FARollforward" , TaskName = "Logger" , RPAEnvironment = "PROD" , LogId = "0133010____120220128030047417" , MachineName = "xxxxx" , User = "xxxxxx"

LogDate = "01/28/2022 03:00:38.679" , LogNo = "125" , LogLevel = "ERROR" , LogType = "Process Level" , LogMessage = "EXCEPTION: CustomSubTaskError;" , TimeTaken = "0:00:00.005" , ProcessName = "FARollforward" , TaskName = "NavigateOracle" , RPAEnvironment = "PROD" , LogId = "0125010____120220128030038679" , MachineName = "xxxxx" , User = "xxxxxx"

LogDate = "01/28/2022 01:01:47.004" , LogNo = "51" , LogLevel = "ERROR" , LogType = "Process Level" , LogMessage = "EXCEPTION: Unable to perform LEFTCLICK action. , TimeTaken = "0:00:00.017" , ProcessName = "FARollforward" , TaskName = "FARollforward-NavigateOracle" , RPAEnvironment = "PROD" , LogId = "0051010____120220128010147004" , MachineName = "xxxxxxx" , User = "xxxxxx"

LogDate = "01/27/2022 23:59:20.534" , LogNo = "1" , LogLevel = "INFO" , LogType = "Bot Start" , LogMessage = "Logger Session Started" , TimeTaken = "0:00:00.000" , ProcessName = "FARollforward" , TaskName = "Logger" , RPAEnvironment = "PROD" , LogId = "0001010____120220127235920534" , MachineName = "xxxxxx" , User = "xxxxx"

ProcessName Errors Date
FARollForward
EXCEPTION: CustomSubTaskError
EXCEPTION: Unable to perform LEFTCLICK action
01/28/2022
Cp
Exception: Failed
02/07/2022
FARollForward
02/08/2022

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval group=if(LogType="Bot End",1,0)
| eval exception=if(match(LogMessage,"(?i)exception"),"Y",null())
| streamstats sum(group) as group global=f by ProcessName
| where exception="Y"
| stats values(LogMessage) as LogMessage first(LogDate) as Date by ProcessName group

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming event stream is already sorted in the manner shown in the example i.e. latest event first

| stats values(LogMessage) as LogMessage first(LogDate) as Date by ProcessName group
0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

Looks like its grouping well but I'm getting all the events in between, I wanted to get only the exceptions like these if they occur 

Some of them are :

EXCEPTION: Cannot find the window or application titled 'Oracle Enterprise Performance Management System Workspace, Fusion Edition - Google Chrome' that was open during recording. at Line: 50
EXCEPTION: Please enter the source string. at Line: 27
EXCEPTION: Unable to find CLIENT. Search Criteria did not match. at Line: 120
EXCEPTION: Unable to find LABEL. Search Criteria did not match. at Line: 101
EXCEPTION: Unable to find LABEL. Search Criteria did not match. at Line: 104

I tried to add LogMessage = "Exception:*" but it's giving only the latest run details and not all . Is there any way we can get only this info.Thanks for your reply.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval exception=if(match(LogMessage,"(?i)exception"),"Y",null())
| where exception="Y"

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK, but which field or combination of fields should distinguish one run from another?

0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

Hi @PickleRick process starts with LogType = "Bot Start" And ends with LogType = "Bot end" For every run. 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So it's only about time-based sequence? Are you 100% sure that two runs cannot interleave?

0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

yes, they never interfere at any time. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please can you explain a bit more about your events?

Are the fields already extracted?

Does LogNo restart at 1 and go up for each process instance?

Do your events have _time = LogDate?

0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

Hi @ITWhisperer 

Yes fields are already extracted 

Whenever the process triggers it starts with LogNo 1 and it can go to any number (end LogNo will be inconsistent depends on process execution and end)  

process starts with LogType = "Bot Start" And ends with LogType = "Bot end" For every run.

Yes all the events have _time but there are instances where process runs more than once so to be precise it should differentiate the errors and group them for each run for different processes 

Thanks for the reply , let me know if any additional details are required

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can process instances overlap e.g. can one instance of process FARollForward start before another instance of process FARollForward finishes?

0 Karma

kranthimutyala
Path Finder

No that never happens, the next process run would be triggered only if the current process is finished or errored out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...