Dashboards & Visualizations

How to fetch value from nested JSON

rkishoreqa
Communicator

Hi team, 

How can I get the value of 'status' from below payload in Splunk search.

{"log":" \"status\" : \"END\",","payload":"stdout","time":"2021-08-13T11:54:17.255787345Z"}

Thanks in Advance.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

williamchenyp
Explorer

Is this a one time use extraction, or do you need to do this extraction on a regular basis?    Also, is the JSON formatting always identical where it always begins with: 

{"log":" \"status\" : \"END\" 

If it's only a time time use, what if you treat the double-quotes as a delimiter of a multivalue string?   Then the SPL will be something like below to spit out   \"status\"  

| makeresults 
| eval aaa="{\"log\":\" \\\"status\\\" : \"END\",\",\"payload\":\"stdout\",\"time\":\"2021-08-13T11:54:17.255787345Z\"}" 
| eval aaa="\\\"".mvindex(split(aaa, "\""), 4)."\""

View solution in original post

williamchenyp
Explorer

Is this a one time use extraction, or do you need to do this extraction on a regular basis?    Also, is the JSON formatting always identical where it always begins with: 

{"log":" \"status\" : \"END\" 

If it's only a time time use, what if you treat the double-quotes as a delimiter of a multivalue string?   Then the SPL will be something like below to spit out   \"status\"  

| makeresults 
| eval aaa="{\"log\":\" \\\"status\\\" : \"END\",\",\"payload\":\"stdout\",\"time\":\"2021-08-13T11:54:17.255787345Z\"}" 
| eval aaa="\\\"".mvindex(split(aaa, "\""), 4)."\""

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rkishoreqa 

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH
| rex field=_raw "\\\\\"status\\\\\"\s\:\s\\\\\"(?<status>.*)\\\\\","
| stats count by status

My Sample Search :

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"log\":\" \\\"status\\\" : \\\"END\\\",\",\"payload\":\"stdout\",\"time\":\"2021-08-13T11:54:17.255787345Z\"}"
| rex field=_raw "\\\\\"status\\\\\"\s\:\s\\\\\"(?<status>.*)\\\\\","
| stats count by status

KV

Tags (1)

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @rkishoreqa,

Use rex command.

| makeresults 
| eval f="{\"log\":\" \"status\" : \"END\",\",\"payload\":\"stdout\",\"time\":\"2021-08-13T11:54:17.255787345Z\"}" 
| rex field=f "\"status\"\s:\s\"(?<status>\w+)\""

If this reply helps you, a like would be appreciated.

0 Karma

rkishoreqa
Communicator

@manjunathmeti 

I tried with below query, but it is not working. 

index="dev" |rex field=f "\"status\"\s:\s\"(?<status>\w+)\"" |stats count by status.

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove field=f in your query. For field, you need to specify the actual field name that exists in your index dev. Or don't specify if you are extracting values from _raw event.

Try without specifying field:

index="dev" | rex "\"status\"\s:\s\"(?<status>\w+)\"" | stats count by status

If you have backslashes in your data then,

index="dev" | rex "\"status\\\\\"\s:\s\\\\\"(?<status>[^\\\]+)"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...