Dashboards & Visualizations

How to drilldown from a timechart to another dashboard by clicking on the legend value?

feickertmd
Communicator

I have a timechart created with this search
sourcetype=sp*search host=apset0725 Status!=A | timechart span=1w count by Status usenull=f

I would like to create a drilldown to another dashboard. I want it so that, when clicked, the token will populate with Status. Currently, if I choose "click.value2", then the token populates with the value of count.

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, it goes by the table returned by the timechart command.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

$click.name$ returns the name of the field on the X-axis (probably _time), $click.name2$ returns the name of the field on the Y-axis (your series).

0 Karma

feickertmd
Communicator

Understood, but like I said, the name of the field is "Status", yet the click returns the value, which is "Abandoned". Oh , I think I get it. The "by Status" casts the status values as fields that contain counts as values.

My brain has expanded.

0 Karma

feickertmd
Communicator

That worked great, thanks, but I don't understand how it worked. I had read the document you referred me to before posting this, and it was my understanding that click.name returned the name of the field ("Status"). Yet in this case it has returned the value ("Abandoned").

Can you help me understand the workings in this case? Thanks.

0 Karma

feickertmd
Communicator

Another thing, if you would be so kind.

In the main dashboard I have this drilldown code:

<link>
<![CDATA[
/app/SPSearchData/drilldown_search_and_results?status=$click.name2$&earliest=$earliest$&latest=$latest$
]]>
</link>
</drilldown>

My intent is to also send the timestamp.

The receiving form looks like this:
`
Drilldown Search and Results

<input type="dropdown" token="status" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Status</label>
  <choice value="Abandoned">Abandoned</choice>
  <choice value="Clicked">Successful</choice>
</input>

<panel>
  <table>
    <searchString>sourcetype=sp:2013:search host=apset0725 Status=$status$ |eval lowerQuery=lower(Query) |stats values(ResultsEncoded) as Results by lowerQuery

|rex field=Results max_match=10 "(?<encoded>\d.+?)|"
|fields - Results
|mvexpand encoded
|rex field=encoded "(?<rank>\d+)##\d+..+(?<doc>http.+?)#"
|fields - encoded
|eval rank=rank+1
|sort lowerQuery rank
|dedup lowerQuery doc rank
| stats list(rank) as Rank,list(doc) as Documents by lowerQuery
|rename lowerQuery as "Query String (normalized)"

`

When I click the timechart, my $status$ variable is set just fine, but $earliest$ and $latest do not work properly.

Advice?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the earliestTime and latestTime tags in the receiving form actually use tokens passed from the other form. Ideally you'd add a time range picker to the receiving form as well, to let the value passed from the other form be the default but also to allow the user to fiddle with it.

0 Karma

feickertmd
Communicator

Got it working! but now I want to display it in something other than Epoch time. I have a separate question on the matter at https://answers.splunk.com/answers/188890/convert-epoch-time-from-drilldown-parameter.html. Look forward to any help on it!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...