Dashboards & Visualizations

How to complete correlation of data contained in 2 files before indexing?

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm creating a dashboard based on the data contained in 2 files: one with alarms fired from some equipment and one with all available equipment.

My 1st attempt was to use lookups to get the data of the equipment file and correlate that with the alarms, but I noticed that since the equipment can change over time, I can no longer relate when looking at historical data.

So for my 2nd attempt I'm trying to merge the data (alarms + equipment) before indexing it. I believe that it's possible to achieve this running a python script before indexing the data, but from my searches, I'm not able to find much about it.

This is achievable with summary indexing, but I was thinking about using it as a last resort since I had a problem before because the scheduled search didn't run for some reason and I ended up with a hole in the final data.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are a couple of options for correlating your alarm data but it all really depends on where your equipment data is coming from. One way would be to create a lookup from the external file and then compare it against your alarm data in Splunk. What you're looking for is this: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any idea about this?

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How is these two type of data correlated? Do you have some equipment_id type of primary key? If there is a primary key available, my suggestion would be to use a Time based lookup which will store the available equipment_id based on time and you should be able to do a lookup to correlate historical data as well.

See this

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources#Set_up_...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...