Dashboards & Visualizations

How to compare two values from different time ranges and get a percentage to trigger an alert?

sohaib112
Explorer

I am trying to compare avg_rt for uWSGI workers for the last 15 mins and the last 7 days and then get a percentage out of it. If the difference is more than 50% then I want to trigger an alert.

Here is my search

host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-7d latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS seven_days | append [ search host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-15m latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS fifteen_mins ] | eval Result = (( fifteen_mins / seven_days ) * 100 ) | where Result > 50

I am unable to get a Result for whatever number I choose. it is not able to execute this part

| eval Result = (( fifteen_mins / seven_days ) * 100 ) | where Result > 50

I am getting values for fifteen_mins and seven_days 

seven_days                           fifteen_mins

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sohaib112
Explorer

This works for me: host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-7d latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS seven_days | appendcols [ search host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-15m latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS fifteen_mins ] | eval result = (round((fifteen_mins/seven_days)*100,2)) | where result < 50 or result > 150

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sohaib112
Explorer

This works for me: host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-7d latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS seven_days | appendcols [ search host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-15m latest=now | stats avg(avg_rt) AS fifteen_mins ] | eval result = (round((fifteen_mins/seven_days)*100,2)) | where result < 50 or result > 150

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, this is understandable. You're using append so Splunk adds one set of results (in this case - a single row) to another set (again - a single row). Since each row has differently named column, you get your "chessboard" 😉

You can't do eval from two different rows (unless you do something with your results first of course).

There are several ways to tackle this. One is using plain stats with conditional evaluation

host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-7d latest=now 
| stats avg(eval(if(now()-_time<900,avg_rt,null())) as fifteen_minutes avg(avg_rt) as seven_day

Another way would be to do something similar to your idea (although I don't like using separate searches and appending them - waste of a good search ;))

Just do it like you did before but name both results the same. Add to each of them a label field. Ahd use transpose to switch from two rows to two fields in one row.

Another - a bit mor excentric - idea could be to first bin your data to 15 minute long buckets - you're lucky that 7 days divide evenly into 15-minute periods. Do a separate sum and count for each bucket, count the buckets, sum up all bucket counts and sums into two new field, and calculate your averages from just the last bucket. Hey, I quite like that idea 🙂

host="prod-web-02" source="/var/log/uwsgi/app/uwsgi-metrics.log" earliest=-7d latest=now
| bin _time span=15m
| stats sum(avg_rt) as fifteensum count(avg_rt) as fifteencount by _time
| sort - _time
| streamstats count as bucketcount
| eventstats sum(fifteensum) as weeksum sum(fifteencount) as weekcount
| where bucketcount=1
| eval fifteenavg=fifteensum/fifteencount
| eval weekavg=weeksum/weekcount

There are often many different approaches you can take with Splunk 🙂

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sohaib112,

try something like this:

| eval kind=if(_time>now()-900,"fifteen_mins","seven_days")
| stats 
   avg(eval(if(kind="fifteen_minutes",avg_rt,""))) AS fifteen_minutes
   avg(eval(if(kind="seven_days",avg_rt,""))) AS seven_days
| eval Result = ((fifteen_mins/seven_days)*100) 
| where Result>50

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

sohaib112
Explorer

@gcusello It is not able to calculate the value for fifteen minutes. Hence the result value is empty. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...