Dashboards & Visualizations

How to accelerate the loading time of multiple dashboards?

taha13
Explorer

Hello everyone, so this time I don't have a problem with my code or dashboard, but my question is about the performance of my dashboard.

I have a dashboard with 15 panels and I want to know if there are tricks to optimize or accelerate the loading of the dashboard?

0 Karma

Moreilly97
Path Finder

Reiterating what was said in previous posts try

index="YOUR_INDEX_NAME" feature="chat"
 | stats values(MESSAGE) AS MESSAGE , values(chatId) AS chatId , values(chatOrigin) AS chatOrigin , values(media) AS media , values(chatNbreRepliqueAgent_lo) AS chatNbreRepliqueAgent_lo , values(chatNbreRepliqueClient_lo) AS chatNbreRepliqueClient_lo , values(location) AS location , values(client) AS client , values(session) AS session , values(chatAvailability_lo) AS chatAvailability_lo , values(step) AS step , values(stepResult) AS stepResult , values(isEligible_lo) AS isEligible_lo , values(context) AS context by _time

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm assuming you have 15 independent panels? If so then this is tieing up 15 CPU cores on your SH and possibly limiting the speed it returns values. You should look into using post processing so you can use 1-2 searches to drive those 15 panels. Once you have that, you can then explore other optimization techniques like tstats, metasearch or refactoring your search to make the panels load faster.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Viz/Savedsearches#Post-process_searches_2

Feel free to share your search and I can help optimize it

taha13
Explorer

i already used the base search,and i have one job for all the panels,the problem is that i have a lot of data.So to load my dashboard it take 5 to 7 minutes

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok, so your issue is with search speed.. Coming back to the later part of my comment, post your search so we can help optimize it

The answer will be one of the following
1) Refactor the search
2) Use tstats or metasearch if possible
3) Get more indexers
4) Decrease your sample size
5) Use a summary index or accelerated data model
6) Use event sampling

taha13
Explorer

how can i accelerate the data model?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need a transformational command..

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Knowledge/Acceleratedatamodels

Share your search for more help or accept the answer. Not much more I can do without seeing your search

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

index="***"
| where feature="chat"
| table _time, MESSAGE, chatId, chatOrigin, media, chatNbreRepliqueAgent_lo, chatNbreRepliqueClient_lo,location,client,session,chatAvailability_lo,step,stepResult,isEligible_lo,context

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@taha13, if you have created base search as Table command for pulling _raw events for Post Processing even that is not a best practice, you should have transforming command instead. Refer to documentation for Post Processing Best Practices: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/Savedsearches#Best_practices

To add on to @skoelpin 's comment where feature="chat" should actually be a part of your main search i.e.

index="abc" festure="chat"

You should also understand that there is difference between table and fields command so use table only as your final command in case you need to arrange the fields in specific order as per your need.

Refer to the documentation for search query optimization

Also if you have 15 panels in a dashboard, do you need to view all of them at the same time? (usually it is 4, 6 or 8 panels at a time). If so you should enable Check Boxes/Links or Tabs to switch from One Panel to other or may be show details only when required. This way you restrict running only the searches which are required by default/or the users see first when the dashboard loads. Refer to Blog: https://www.splunk.com/blog/2015/03/30/making-a-dashboard-with-tabs-and-searches-that-run-when-click...

taha13
Explorer

i changed table b fields to accelerate the research,the probem is ,when i use table it's return all the data of the month,but when i use field it's return just the last 15 days

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you found a solution to the problem? If so, can you upvote/accept?

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

i changed my request ,now i use :
index="YOUR_INDEX_NAME" feature="chat"
| stats values(MESSAGE) AS MESSAGE by _time
It's accelerat my dashboard by 30sec

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please upvote/accept if this answered your question..

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

I already upvote the answer 😉

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I downvoted this post because im downvoting this post because i gave you multiple approaches at solving your issue and you confirmed my solution works but refuse to accept the answer

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

okey as you want,for me i did not accept your answer because is not really what i want,with your solution i pass from 3min30sec to 3min 10sec
I'm searshing a solution to load my dashboard on 2min.

We are here to help each other,and you are here to collect votes

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Obviously your not looking for help when you claim that my solution decreased 30 seconds off your load time with no further details.. Then when I followed up asking if this solved your question, you still provide zero details and leave it unaccepted. I'm sorry, but I'm not spending anymore time on this

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why not accept the answer? This answered your question and accelerated your search time..

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

when i used "field" ,my dashboard is faster but i have the results of the 15 last days ,and not of all the week

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lots of problems here.. How many indexes are you searching over? Is it possible to to explicitly call only the indexes needed? How large is your time frame? How many events are you searching over? How many indexers do you have? What storage are you using? You should replace where with search. I think it would be faster with a stats then it would be with a table command too.

Once you replace that table with a transformational command, you can accelerate it as a data model or a report and get exponentially faster speeds.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Report/Acceleratereports

0 Karma

taha13
Explorer

1-I use just one index
2-I search event of the 4 last month
3-i have a lot of eent,300 MB of data

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...