Dashboards & Visualizations

How and when to use $abc$ to tell Splunk that abc is a field name?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Somewhere I read about using $abc$, to tell Splunk that abc is a fieldname?
I can't find explanations in the docs on when and how it can be used. Can someone provide a link regarding this topic?

Cheers
Heinz

0 Karma

Sebastian2
Path Finder

Are macros what you are looking for?

macros.conf

[my_macro(2)]
args = arg1, arg2
definition = search index=$arg2$ sourcetype=$arg$ ...

Since you can call macros in macros this may look as if $abc$ was used as some kind of fieldname.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/Search/Usesearchmacros

0 Karma

gyarici
Path Finder

Hi Heinz,

If you want to add any input on your dashboard(drop-down menu, check-box,multi select,etc...) , there is a section called "token".

Let's you insert there as abc into token section means you can use this variable as $abc$ in your splunk serach query. Once this inout selected by user(example dropdown menu), your search directly take this variable fr searching.

There is also detail information from the link below.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/Viz/tokens

Thanks

Gokhan

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

I know the usage for form inputs in dashboards. But I think it can be used in a saved search as well, here is an example with a field called clicks/user

These two options do not work

| fieldformat clicks/user=tostring(clicks/user, "commas")

| fieldformat clicks/user=tostring("clicks/user", "commas")

But when I use
| fieldformat clicks/user=tostring($clicks/user*$*, "commas")

it works fine

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@HeinzWaescher, in this scenario, it operates as the ' single quotes needed to escape punctuation characters or non [a-z] stuff inside of a field name. So, the normal version of your search would be:

| fieldformat clicks/user=tostring('clicks/user', "commas")

Within an eval statement, double quotes " are always used to specify string literals whereas the single quote ' is used to help specify fields. I would suggest keeping your field names free of punctuation and strange characters, e.g.

| eval clicks_per_user = clicks / user
| fieldformat clicks_per_user = tostring(clicks_per_user, "commas")

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

You can define and use Token in dashbaords. Is that what you're thinking of? What are you trying to do?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/Viz/tokens

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...