Dashboards & Visualizations
Highlighted

Help Getting Data Out of .xml report

Explorer

I am trying to pull fields out of .xml file where I can make sense of them and put the info into a dashboard. I am trying to pull the ruleID, ruleResult, and result count out where they are relational to each other so I have (CVE#, Fail or Fixed, count#). I tried making new fields but Splunk doesn't see that these fields have any relation to each other and they just come up as individuals.

<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-1985">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1985</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fail">
        <summRes:result count="15489"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-1820">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1820</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fail">
        <summRes:result count="14560"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-4568">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-4568</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fail">
        <summRes:result count="13458"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-1156">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1156</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fail">
        <summRes:result count="12567"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-5641">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-5641</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fail">
        <summRes:result count="11243"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-1985">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1985</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fixed">
        <summRes:result count="900"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-1156">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1156</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fixed">
        <summRes:result count="726"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
<summRes:ruleResult ruleID="CVE-2000-4568">
    <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-4568</summRes:ident>
    <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult="fixed">
        <summRes:result count="455"/>
    </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
</summRes:ruleResult>
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Help Getting Data Out of .xml report

Explorer

This is fake CVE data by the way... I'm not putting real vulnerabilities up on forums.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Help Getting Data Out of .xml report

Legend

@avery2007 if you are indexing the XML file to Splunk and have KV_MODE=xml set in the props.conf for the same then XML values should get extracted automatically. I have used spath command in the run anywhere example below to extract the same fields using SPL. You can use the commands from | rename ... if KV_MODE=xml is set.

| makeresults 
| eval xmlData="<summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-1985\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1985</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fail\">
         <summRes:result count=\"15489\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-1820\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1820</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fail\">
         <summRes:result count=\"14560\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-4568\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-4568</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fail\">
         <summRes:result count=\"13458\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-1156\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1156</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fail\">
         <summRes:result count=\"12567\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-5641\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-5641</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fail\">
         <summRes:result count=\"11243\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-1985\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1985</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fixed\">
         <summRes:result count=\"900\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-1156\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-1156</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fixed\">
         <summRes:result count=\"726\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>
 <summRes:ruleResult ruleID=\"CVE-2000-4568\">
     <summRes:ident>CVE-2000-4568</summRes:ident>
     <summRes:ruleComplianceItem ruleResult=\"fixed\">
         <summRes:result count=\"455\"/>
     </summRes:ruleComplianceItem>
 </summRes:ruleResult>" 
| spath input=xmlData 
| fields - xmlData 
| rename "summRes:ruleResult.summRes:ruleComplianceItem.summRes:result{@count}" as "count",
    "summRes:ruleResult.summRes:ruleComplianceItem{@ruleResult}" as "ruleResult",
    "summRes:ruleResult{@ruleID}" as "ruleID"
| eval data=mvzip(mvzip(ruleID,ruleResult),count)  
| fields data
| mvexpand data
| makemv data delim=","
| eval ruleID=mvindex(data,0),
       ruleResult=mvindex(data,1),
       count=mvindex(data,2)
| table ruleID, ruleResult, count

View solution in original post

Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.