Dashboards & Visualizations

Getting blank rows when comparing two JSON data sets with some common and unique keys in them

splunk_dev
Explorer

Hi ,

I am comparing two JSON data sets with respect to values of some nested keys in them.

The comparison is working fine except that at the end I am getting some blank rows with no data for them in the columns except the diff column that I am inserting.

I am including the query that I am using. However, since I am using appendcols in this, so the data sets returned by the search commands would be as below respectively:

data1={
\"Sugar\": {
\"prod_rate\" : \"50\",
\"prod_qual\" : \"Good\"
},
\"Rice\": {
\"prod_rate\" : \"80\",
\"prod_qual\" : \"OK\"
},
\"Potato\": {
\"prod_rate\" : \"87\",
\"prod_qual\" : \"OK\"
}
}

data2="{
\"Sugar\": {
},
\"Wheat\": {

}
}"

The actual query with proper search command in place is actually returning some blank rows. How can I remove them from display ?

index = data1

| eval grain_name = json_array_to_mv(json_keys(data1))
|mvexpand grain_name
|eval data = json_extract(data1, grain_name), qual = json_extract(data, "prod_qual")
|table grain_name, qual
| appendcols [ search index=data2| eval grain_name2 = json_array_to_mv(json_keys(data2))
| mvexpand grain_name2
| eval data2 = json_extract(data2, grain_name2), qual2 = json_extract(data2, "prod_qual")]
|eval diff = if(match (qual, qual2), "Same", "NotSame")
|table grain_name, qual, diff
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The appendcols command just appends columns in whatever order they are returned in with no respect for the values in the "common" fields, so, your comparison is like comparing apples with oranges, or in your case wheat with rice. Is this what you really want to do?

You could use stats to combine the values from each search like this

index = data1

|mvexpand grain_name
|eval data = json_extract(data1, grain_name), qual = json_extract(data, "prod_qual")
|table grain_name, qual
| append [ search index=data2
| eval grain_name = json_array_to_mv(json_keys(data2))
| mvexpand grain_name
| eval data2 = json_extract(data2, grain_name), qual2 = json_extract(data2, "prod_qual")]
| stats values(qual) as qual values(qual2) as qual2 by grain_name

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The appendcols command just appends columns in whatever order they are returned in with no respect for the values in the "common" fields, so, your comparison is like comparing apples with oranges, or in your case wheat with rice. Is this what you really want to do?

You could use stats to combine the values from each search like this

index = data1

|mvexpand grain_name
|table grain_name, qual
| mvexpand grain_name
| eval data2 = json_extract(data2, grain_name), qual2 = json_extract(data2, "prod_qual")]
| stats values(qual) as qual values(qual2) as qual2 by grain_name

splunk_dev
Explorer

You are correct, I want to compare apple with apple (or sugar with sugar).

Your query has removed the blank rows.

But the comparison is failing. It is saying every thing is Notsame.

However here the sugar prod_qual is same. In the real data sets there are many values which are same and few are not same.

Thanks

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem with fake, made-up data is when it does not accurately represent your real data. We can only provide solutions based on the data you have given. If it does not represent your data closely enough,  our solutions may not work with your actual data. Please try to provide representative examples (anonymised as appropriate) which demonstrate why the proposed solution does not work for you.

0 Karma

splunk_dev
Explorer

Well, the data is little simplified but the structure is same.

Actually , I am trying to compare not only prod_qual but other values as well.

Now it is working

I am comparing both prod_qual and prod_rate hence I have modified your query as below,

index = data1

|mvexpand grain_name
|eval data = json_extract(data1, grain_name), rate= json_extract(data, "prod_rate"), qual = json_extract(data, "prod_qual")
|table grain_name, qual
| mvexpand grain_name
| eval data2 = json_extract(data2, grain_name),rate2= json_extract(data2, "prod_rate") qual2 = json_extract(data2, "prod_qual")]
| stats values(qual) as qual values(qual2) as qual2  values(rate) as rate values(rate2) as rate2 by grain_name
|eval diff2 = if(diff == "Same", if(rate==rate2, "Same", "NotSame"), "NotSame")
|table grain_name, qual, rate, diff2

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...