Dashboards & Visualizations

Feature Request: How to embed a dashboard (not a report) that is updated every hour in a webpage?

lquinn
Contributor

Hi, I have been looking through all of the questions and answers on this subject and a lot of them seem to be outdated. I have successfully embedded a report in a webpage, however I would like users to the be able to click on a link and see the whole dashboard. Is there any way to easily embed a dashboard to a webpage and for it to be updated say every hour?

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi everyone,

There is now an app for this https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4377/ 😉

cheers, MuS

lianlim
Engager

@MuS I am trying to configure this add-on, to embed a dashboard to my website hosted on Squarespace. Is this possible/ has anyone done this before?

I have gone through the following steps after install the app.
ref: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4377/#/details

1.Copy default/web.conf and default/server.conf to the local folder and
uncomment the options in web.conf and server.conf.
2. Copy default/inputs.conf to local/ and use the provided stanza as template. Configure the Splunk user with the least possible permissions (Make everything read-only ), make a separate app, add the dashboard you want to show as the default dashboard for the app.
3. Configure the EDFS inputs using the Splunk web in the inputs section. You need
to configure the Splunk user that will be authenticated, the port Splunk will
listen on, and the IP that is allowed to connect to the port.

As for the last step, I cloned the default one and change "Splunk Username" + "The IP that is allowed to connect". I am unsure about the "The port we are using to connect to" and "Source type" + "Index". The dashboard I got is built using inputlookup too.

Once item 1-3 is complete. How do I embedded xml to my website hosted on Squarespace?

Add a block of code as such?

<iframe src="https://<splunk_server_name>/en-GB/app/<app_name>/<dashboard_name>" seamless frameborder="no"  scrolling="no" width="1200" height="2500" ></iframe>
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi lianlim,

You don't need to change or set the sourcetype nor the index name for the input just use the defaults.
Regarding the port; this will be a new port where you can access the dashboard - so you need to configure a free TCP port that will be accessible from your Squarespace hosted website. Once all the security concerns such a setup brings along are cleared and approved, you can access the dashboard like this:

<iframe src="https://<splunk_server_name>:<TheTCPPortYouConfigured>" seamless frameborder="no"  scrolling="no" width="1200" height="2500" ></iframe>

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

I had the same question and struggle: how to embed a full dashboard of Splunk into our own content management system (cms). (In stead of adding single panels in an iframe that also must be explicit enabled for embedding in Splunk to use it in an iframe elsewhere. Struggled for months with this issue, ie using (reverse) proxy etc.... Solution appears to be simple, at least sofar... 🙂

We have Splunk version 6.5 running and want to embed dashboards in our Liferay CMS. (a mulit-tenant environment)

In web.conf look for the lines and change the setting of 1 to 0 (see below)

# setting X-FRAME-OPTIONS header to SAMEORIGIN helps to prevent "click-jacking" attacks
x_frame_options_sameorigin = 0

Now I can embed a full dashboard into our own Liferay CMS that works as an front-end to our Splunk instance.
Nb. if you have set the insecure_login option you can add name and password in the url
Nb. if you add some extra parameters in the <dashboard : hideChrome="true" hideEdit="true" > at the beginning of your the source and add per panel the "<option name="link.visible">false</option>" it seems to work fine without the ability to drilldown or be redirected to the main Splunk instance.

hope this will work for you too

Note: added later, in same web.conf to enable insecure_login (name and password in url):

# Toggle the insecure login endpoint
enable_insecure_login = 1 (from 0 -> 1)

http://splunk.aaaaa.com/en-GB/account/insecurelogin?username=aaaaaa&amp;password=bbbbbbb&amp;return_...

regards
Ashley

Ramakrishnabhat
Engager

I too would love to see this feature in Splunk as well. Just because we are not able to embed the dashboards, we are ending up with converting dashboards into reports and then embed them. I wish there was an easier way out for this.

cmerriman
Super Champion

This is just a quick answer that might work. We have an embedded dashboard on a website using an iframe similar to below. if you had all of the panels running from reports that were scheduled to update every 2 hours (or whatever you needed), i think this option might work. For our particular use, we have inputs, and nothing is updated hourly or running from scheduled reports.

<iframe src="http://splunkhost/account/insecurelogin?username=viewonlyuser&password=viewonly&return_to=/app/search/dashboardname" seamless frameborder="no"  scrolling="no" width="1200" height="2500" ></iframe>

cotyp
Path Finder

This is interesting, how do you allow the 'X-Frame-Options' to not refuse connecting to 'sameorigin'?

0 Karma

hkayarohanam_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

set x_frame_options_sameorigin to false in web.conf https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.2/Admin/Webconf

0 Karma

chuckers
Path Finder

Thanks cmerriman! That looks like it might be promising. I'll create one "view only" user that can be used in all dashboards then also suppliment the url with the hideChrome, hideEdit and hiseFooter options...
Thanks again. I have hope. 🙂

0 Karma

bgagliardi1
Path Finder

iframes are automatically disabled after a certain version of Splunk (I believe 6.) This link explains it and provides the solution.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/104277/iframes-and-views-broken-after-splunk-6-upgrade.html

0 Karma

peter_krammer
Communicator

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.
This seems like a good workaround for the moment, I would still like to see Splunk implement a proper solution with access token.

What will happen aber an auto-logout (timeout because of inactivity)?
Maybe you can also use width="100%" and height="100%" to autoscale to any resolution.
Adding hideChrome, hideEdit and hideFooter [sic] like chuckers suggested sounds also like a good idea and just for completeness I would add hideFilter, if you have like a timepicker or so on the dashboard.

cmerriman
Super Champion

all good ideas. we have locked down all drilldowns and open in searches and whatnots from the dashboard itself, great idea to try the 100%, we implemented on a timecrunch and just put it to the resolution of most monitors at the office 🙂

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To add another work around; I've written a blog post here https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/02/04/sso-without-an-active-directory-or-ldap-provider/ which describes a way to share a dashboard for a Splunk user without the need to manually login. Very handy for any kind of operation centre with a lot of big screens 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

chuckers
Path Finder

That's a lot of activity about a link which is not relevant to the original post. The post is asking for a way to embed an entire dashboard, and it explicitly says that it is NOT asking about how to embed any one scheduled report. 🙂

I too would LOVE to see this feature. I have hundreds of dashboards and every one of them has multiple panels. At least in my situation, it isn't feasible to create hundreds (probably over a thousand) scheduled reports, then convert every single panel in every dashboard to then rely on the appropriate scheduled report, then individually embed every single panel so that I can take these thousand or so iframes and embed them into web pages...ugh.

Every time I see activity on this thread I get excited thinking that maybe somebody has come up with a clever way to embed a dashboard (not just a single report). But alas, not yet.

apietersen
Contributor

Hi Chuckers,

Please read my post again, I my opnion it does exactly what you want: embedding a dashboard (NO REPORT) in an iframe. we use it now for some weeks and it still works fine. If you want I can show/send an example

regards
Ashley Pietersem

0 Karma

chuckers
Path Finder

Absolutely need this. I have hundreds of dashboards that I would like to embed. Each dashboard has from 2 - 20 panels. With the current limitation of only being able to embed reports, I would have to manage many thousands of saved reports rather than only a few hundred dashboards.

This unfortunate limitation is driving me to use Tableau for publishing visualizations when I would really prefer to use Splunk.

kenvanderheyden
Path Finder

Yes, excellent feature: embedding a custom dashboard in a website.
Any idea if this will be possible in the future ?

0 Karma

lquinn
Contributor

I don't think that would work, I basically just want to embed the dashboard to my website, just like I would embed a report, so that people can view the dashboard on my website and it would contain information that has been updated on a regular basis. I know I can do this by separating it into different reports however I would rather keep it all together.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi lquinn,

I think starting Splunk 6.1, there is a nice feature called embed scheduled reports which does what you want. Please see the docs for more information on Embed scheduled reports.

cheers, MuS

robryals
Engager

I downvoted this post because the link does not exist.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...