Dashboards & Visualizations

Extract key value pair from xml

KarunK
Contributor

Hi All,

I have an interesting problem. I have an xml which has a certain number of key value pairs which I need to extract it.

<record>
    <from>customerservice</from>
    <customer>Dan</customer>
    <heading>Reminder</heading>
    <body>Payment Overdue.Amount=176.Discount=16.Pay=160</body>
</record>

I need to extract the following key value pairs
Amount=176.Amount=16.Pay=160

And turn them into a following table

customer | Amount | Amount | Pay
------------------------------
Dan      | 176    | 16     | 160 

How can I do it ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

kk

Tags (2)

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use:

... | extract pairdelim="." kvdelim="="
0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

Hi,

I have tried that too..Didn't work. It may be because, the data source is xml. Just guessing...

thx mate ..

kkn

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

You can use xmllv

xmlkv link

If that doesn't work for you, | rex field=_raw "Amount\=(?<amount>\d+)\.Discount\=(?<discount>\d+)\.Pay\=(?<pay>\d+)"

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

I don't know of anything to help you, other than what @gkanapathy suggested. You can always setup what he suggested in your props.conf and transforms.conf. This should automatically extract any values that are preceded by an "=" sign as a value of the field before the "=" sign for the sourcetype you specify.

0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

Hi Shane,
Thanks for the quick response. I am already doing xmlkv and extracting the XML values for me.

Eg:

body=Payment Overdue.Amount=176.Discount=16.Pay=160

I can see rex command will be usefull. But i am looking for a generic rule which will extract every thing in "body" automatically.

Regards

kkn

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...