Dashboards & Visualizations

Export dashboard to pdf creates error

johnsushames
Engager

I have a dashboard with several graphs. When I try and export the dashboard to pdf I get the following error.

Unable to render PDF.
Bailing out of Integrated PDF Generation. Exception raised while preparing to render "Untitled" to PDF. Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding ! Bytes: 0xCA 0x72 0x65 0x65, line 1, column 3397

When I remove 2 of the graphs form the dashboard it exports fine. The problem graphs relate to survey questions where respondents were asked to list in a free text field ice cream flavours they associate with a particular statement. Narrowing the problem down even further, everything works until I add in the eval statement CC. I am guessing this is an issue with an unrecognised character in the data but have no way of proving this or any idea of a work around.

host=icecream_awareness | eval Q5=lower(Q5_Whats_the_most_traditional_flavour_icecream) | eval Cookies = if(like(Q5,"%cookies and cream%") or like(Q5,"%cookiesandcream%"),1,0) |eval chocolate=if(like(Q5,"%chocolate%"),1,0) | eval rocky = if(like(Q5,"%rocky road%") or like(Q5,"%rockyroad%"),1,0) | eval CC = if(like(Q5,"%cotton candy%") or like(Q5,"%cottoncandy%"),1,0)| eval vanilla=if(like(Q5,"%vanilla%"),1,0) | stats Sum(Cookies) as "Cookies and Cream" sum(Chocolate) as Chocolate sum(Rocky) as "Rocky Road" sum(CC) as "Cotton Candy" sum(Vanilla) as Vanilla | transpose

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

abonuccelli_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I can reproduce same behavior, this is now logged as bug SPL-87652.

As a workaround, If you save this as a report and add that to the dashboard, then you will be able to export it as PDF.

johnsushames
Engager

Thanks for your response. Yes this does work, however, I am using a drop down in the dashboard to pass a parameter to the panels in questions. I can't find a way to do this when it is added as a report. I tried cloning it as an inline search, however, the dashboard fails to export again once this is done.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...