Dashboards & Visualizations

Email Alert Subject Stuck - Splunk 6.3 - Splunk Alert: $searchname$

snoobzilla
Builder

Regardless of what I put in the subject of an email alert, what comes back for subject is Splunk Alert: $searchname$. I have multiple use cases where it would help to have tokens in email subject.

Config of example search from app savedsearches.conf which I can see. I am power user not Splunk admin so I can't see the system level config/defaults.

1. If config is correct below, what would prevent it from coming thru at the system level (what should I ask Splunk admin to look at?). I suspect something in a higher level conf file.
  2. Is the alert config below properly set up to send tokenized email subject?

Thanks in advance.

[mysavedalert]
action.email = 1
action.email.format = table
action.email.include.results_link = 0
action.email.include.view_link = 0
action.email.message.alert = $result._raw$
action.email.reportServerEnabled = 0
action.email.subject.alert = Splunk Alert: New Failure - Client: $result.CLIENT$ Branch: $result.BRANCH$ Time: $result._time$
action.email.to = me@mycompany.com
action.email.useNSSubject = 1
alert.digest_mode = False
alert.expires = 1h
alert.suppress = 0
alert.track = 1
auto_summarize.dispatch.earliest_time = -1d@h
counttype = number of events
cron_schedule = */15 * * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -30m@m
dispatch.latest_time = now
display.events.fields = ["host","source","sourcetype"]
display.general.type = statistics
display.page.search.mode = fast
display.visualizations.chartHeight = 520
enableSched = 1
quantity = 0
relation = greater than
request.ui_dispatch_app = EventKNow
request.ui_dispatch_view = search
search = "mysearch"

snoobzilla
Builder

Bueller??? Anyone. Is there a system level setting that would prevent email titles from changing?

0 Karma

vasanthi77
Explorer

Hey snoobzilla , Does this got resolved, even I have same issue

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

snoobzilla
Builder

So now I seem to be able to modify email subjects. Further investigation it seems like you cannot include search fields specific to results in Subject, e.g.

This string: Subject Test: Search: $name$ Results: $results.count$ Date: $result.Date$ Client: $result.Client$

In Subject: Subject Test: Search: This is Search Name Results: 1 Date: Client:

In Body: Subject Test: Search: This is Search Name Results: 1 Date: 2016/04/05 Client: 12345678

It doesn't seem to matter what other email parameters are. Per result, per search, inline table, etc, from splunkweb does not want to put $result.fieldname$ in subject.

@woodcock thanks for your feedback. Will probably go that direction.

SPLUNK: It would be extremely helpful to be able to do per result emails with field values in subject... this would allow same email to indicate actionable or not, etc. Please consider putting this capability in Splunkweb.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, so if we agree that this is as close as you can get, you should probably click Accept to close the question.

0 Karma

snoobzilla
Builder

I already have another alert that sends emails to different email addresses for each result using splunkweb interface and a results token. I would have liked to have custom email subject in that one too.

So thank you for the feedback, but issue I am trying to solve for is specific to email subject.

Nothing I do in splunkweb email action changes the email title from Splunk Alert: $searchname$ whether tokens are present or not.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My solution allows you to specify specific subjects using tokens.

0 Karma

snoobzilla
Builder

Thanks. That may be direction I end up going in.

I was hoping to use splunkweb directly as I am not the only one facing this issue.

Right now we are having problems where scheduled jobs occasionally stop firing altogether since Search Head Clustering update, so this is on back burner at the moment.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Does every event in your results contain the both the fields CLIENT and BRANCH and _time and does every event have the EXACT SAME VALUE?

snoobzilla
Builder

No, this is an example of one where I am sending separate email for every result.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...