Dashboards & Visualizations

Data visualization over the day (by hours)

sweiland
Path Finder

Hi there,

I know it sound pretty easy, but I am stuck with a dashboard which splits the events by hours of the day, to see for example the amount of events on every hours (from 00h to 23h)

My request is like that:

index=_internal | convert timeformat="%H" ctime(_time) AS Hour | stats count by Hour | sort Hour | rename count as "SENT"

Only problem with the request is that I am missing zero entries in the histogram, and I wanted to have always the 24 hours displayed (even with zero results).

Any way to do this ?

Hope it will help others

0 Karma
1 Solution

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @sweiland ,

The timechart as recommended by @gcusello helps to create a row for each hour of the day. It will add a row even if there are no values for an hour.

In addition, this will split/sumup by Hour, does not matter how many days the search timeframe is:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count
| eval Hour = strftime(_time,"%H") 
| chart sum(count) as count by Hour

Hope it helps,
BR
Ralph
--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

--

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sweiland,

did you explored the timechart command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/SearchReference/Timechart)?

You could try something like this:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count AS "SENT"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

sweiland
Path Finder

Idea is to have the timespan 1h but only for one day

Example:

Data from 1 complete month, but splitted for every hour (the timechart is not a "group by hours")

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sweiland,

if you want the span of 1 hour for the full month, timechart span=1h is correct

if instead you want two  different spans,it isn't possible in one panel.

you could have two panels: one for the last day (with span=1h) and one for the full month (span=1d),

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @sweiland ,

The timechart as recommended by @gcusello helps to create a row for each hour of the day. It will add a row even if there are no values for an hour.

In addition, this will split/sumup by Hour, does not matter how many days the search timeframe is:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count
| eval Hour = strftime(_time,"%H") 
| chart sum(count) as count by Hour

Hope it helps,
BR
Ralph
--

--
0 Karma

sweiland
Path Finder

Works indeed perfectly, thanks to both of you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...