Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Studio Dynamic Dropdown Input - Query Types

shocko
Contributor

Using Splunk Enterprise 9. I'm trying to populate a dashboard studio dropdown input from query results. I was testing via a simple query (copied from the dashboard studio examples) as follows:

| inputlookup firewall_example.csv
| stats count by host

This works fine and the dropdown gets populated with the hosts. However, I'd also expected the following to to work 

| inputlookup firewall_example.csv
| stats values(host)

but it doesn't and no dynamic entries are in the dropdown. 

So my understanding of the query types that can be used with dropdown inputs is incomplete! Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats values(host) will give you a multi-value field i.e. a single event, whereas, in order to dynamically populate the dropdown, you need separate events (which is what stats count by host does for you).

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats values(host) will give you a multi-value field i.e. a single event, whereas, in order to dynamically populate the dropdown, you need separate events (which is what stats count by host does for you).

shocko
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply @ITWhisperer . Much appreciated. That makes perfect sense. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...