Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Studio - Column Data keeps getting detected by a number which cuts off any leading zeroes?

austindodig
Engager

To try something new, I decided to try my hand at creating one of my new dashboards in Dashboard Studio. I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to overcome.

I have a table which is using an SPL as a data source. One of the fields is "zip code" . When viewing the SPL in search, the zip code displays as intended (i.e. 5 characters, with leading zeros in tact).  However, when I add it to the table object in DS, it detects that column as a number which in turn cuts off any leading zeros. I have tried everything I can find in the documentation regarding column formatting, but can't seem to convert it back to string.

Any ideas on how to either prevent the table from detecting it as a number, or how to convert it back to string once it's loaded in?

Labels (1)

rps462
Path Finder

I'm having the same exact issue ... data looks fine in the event, looks fine in even a classic dashboard stats table, but in DS it's all messed up. Adding a space before the string doesn't fix it either. =\

This column just has data in it's that's a combo of letters and numbers, for example: 00882b87

There are times where all the leading zeroes are not there, other times where they are. There doesn't seem to be a pattern here. All I know is that it makes a day's worth of effort building this dashboard a complete waste of time.

0 Karma

nickelous
Engager

We're having the same issue. 

0 Karma

austindodig
Engager

I found a duct tape work around, but would still like to know how to do it officially.

In the SPL, I appended a non-character blank space to the beginning of the zip code column and now DS reads the column as a string. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...