Dashboards & Visualizations

Custom App icons not showing

tosplukornottos
Explorer

Hi,
I am running an on-prem installation of Splunk enterprise 7.3.0.
On this instance I've built an app and would now like to add icons to it. I've followed various guides where I was told to create a folder called static in the home directory of the app (called my_app below)and place my icons in there.
I did so, but I still couldn't get it to work. So eventually I removed my static folder from the my_app directory and copied over the content from search. The UI is still not updating. So I spun up a new docker, Splunk enterprise version 7.3.1.1 and imported the app from the other server with an SPL file. Still not updating.
On the new instance, I also created another app and tried to copy the icons from a third app to that one, without any luck.
I've made sure that the Splunk user is owning the files as well as the directory and tried to reach the data directly by browsing to this path on my Splunk server:

/en-US/splunkd/__raw/servicesNS/admin/my_app/static/appIcon.png

Any ideas on what might be the issue or how I can troubleshoot it?

0 Karma
1 Solution

tosplukornottos
Explorer

It seems that a restart solved it. Everything was in place, but splunk needed restarting so I suppose I'll make sure that happens when installing the app in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tosplukornottos
Explorer

It seems that a restart solved it. Everything was in place, but splunk needed restarting so I suppose I'll make sure that happens when installing the app in the future.

0 Karma

tosplukornottos
Explorer

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@tosplukornottosplunk If your problem is resolved, please accept an answer to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jdhunter
Path Finder

You need to create the folder/directory static in your app.

etc/app/your_app/static

Then I copied my png file into this directory and renamed it appIcon.png.

This is the default name the app uses when you create one

http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-developapps/SP-CAAAE86

I would restart Splunk, sometimes you can get away with issuing a debug/refresh when updating certain content in your app

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...