Dashboards & Visualizations

Converting global_time to date for lookup file

vm_molson
Explorer

How do I take a dashboard global time (i.e. - $global_time.earliest$, $global_time.latest$) and convert it into a date to be used when searching a lookup file that only has a date column (i.e. - 04/15/2024)?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

KendallW
Path Finder

Hi @vm_molson is the search for the lookup file within the same dashboard, or some other dashboard linked from a drilldown? 

If it's within the same dashboard, you can simply add something like this to the search for the lookup:

| search date<=$global_time.latest$ date>=$global_time.earliest$

However if you want to link to a different search, you might need to go down this route (link) where you would add the variables directly in the URL parameters of the link the user would click on. 

vm_molson
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply! One correction to something I said earlier: the format of the "Date" in my lookup file is YYYY-MM-DD.

It is in the same dashboard. I tried what you had mentioned already, but with the global parameters within quotes. That didn't seem to return what I wanted, but it did not lead to an error. Then I tried without quotes, and I get this error:

Error in 'where' command: The operator at 'mon@mon AND Date<=@mon ' is invalid.

The where clause is like:

where customer="XYZ" AND Date>=$global_time.earliest$" AND Date<=$global_time.latest$"

I've also tried this:

| inputlookup mylookup.csv
| eval lookupfiledatestart =strftime($global_time.earliest$, "%Y-%m-%d")
| eval lookupfiledateend =strftime($global_time.latest$, "%Y-%m-%d")
| where client="XYZ" AND Date>=lookupfiledatestart AND Date<=lookupfiledateend

That gives me this error:

Error in 'EvalCommand': The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at '@mon, "%Y-%m-%d")'.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...