Dashboards & Visualizations

Configurable index and source name in Splunk dashboard

shikhanshu
Path Finder

I am developing a set of Splunk dashboards that will be used by N different teams.
Each team has its own index (say indexA, indexB), and each of those indexes have 2 sources (sourceA1, sourceA2, sourceB1, sourceB2) etc.

All the indexes have exact schema (with different data for different teams) and so I want to have re-usable dashboards.

Which means that in my dashboard, I plan to have a drop-down (single-select), with a list of team names, which under-the-hood map to an index name and two source names. (1 to 3 mapping)

In my panels then I can create searches using those tokens and so the same dashboard will show team A's data or team B's data depending on which team is selected in drop-down.

Since our indexes are access-controlled, if a user from team A chooses team B in dropdown, he will see empty panels which is what is intended.

How do I do this!?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the drop down will define a key in a token.
example: token group
groupA => "index=indexA"
groupB => "index=indexB"
etc...

them in the search populating the panels, use the variable :
$group$ sourcetype=mysourcetype | timechart count by whathever

see the documentation for details :
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Viz/tokens
They are many examples in the UI examples apps.
see https://apps.splunk.com/app/1603/

You can be more fancy by using macros.
And the roles permissions will enforce the access to indexes.

0 Karma

shikhanshu
Path Finder

This is a comment for yannK's response.
I am unable to add comments 😞 Says I don't have enough permission.

yannK, I am not sure I understand your suggestion.

Here is a sample search driving one of the panels on the dashboard:

index=indexA source=sourceA1 [search index=indexA source=sourceA2 | fields somefield] | chart count by whatever

So, to make this search generic/token_based, I would need three tokens:

index=$index_name$ source=$source1name$ [search index=$index_name$ source=$source2name$ | fields somefield] | chart count by whatever

Please note that there is no pattern to the names of the source and indexes, I have just named them indexA or sourceA1 as examples. The names could be anything.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...