Dashboards & Visualizations

Cell drilldown sending null

caphrim007
Path Finder

I was reading the docs here

and trying to get cell drilldown to work, but not having much luck. I set the value of drilldown to "all" and to "cell" but in either case, the search that is created places "null" in the stringreplace'd search.

Here's the advanced xml I have so far.

<module name="SimpleResultsTable" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1">
            <param name="drilldown">cell</param>
            <param name="displayRowNumbers">False</param>
            <module name="HiddenSearch" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col2">
              <param name="search">Successful NOT 172.16.12.* (sourceNetworkAddress != "-" AND sourceNetworkAddress != "127.0.0.1") | lookup dnsLookup ip AS sourceNetworkAddress OUTPUTNEW host AS hostname | stats values(username) as Users by sourceNetworkAddress, hostname | sort -Users | search hostname="$hostname$" | mvexpand Users | table Users</param>
              <module name="ConvertToIntention">
                <param name="intention">
                  <param name="name">stringreplace</param>
                  <param name="arg">
                    <param name="hostname">
                      <param name="value">$click.value$</param>
                    </param>
                  </param>
                </param>
                <module name="SimpleResultsTable" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col2"/>
              </module>
            </module>
          </module>

When I look at the job that is fired off though, I see this

...| sort -Users | search hostname="null" | mvexpand Users |...

Scratching my head trying to figure out how I can get the clicked value into my intention.

The output from the hidden search above it is a table looks like this

sourceNetworkAddress hostname dcUserCnt

172.16.12.234 host3.site.org 2

172.16.12.204 host2.site.org 1

172.16.12.205 host1.site.org 1

And is created with the hidden search

<param name="search">Successful NOT 172.16.12.* (sourceNetworkAddress != "-" AND sourceNetworkAddress != "127.0.0.1") | lookup dnsLookup ip AS sourceNetworkAddress OUTPUTNEW host AS hostname | stats dc(username) as dcUserCnt by sourceNetworkAddress, hostname | sort -dcUserCnt | search hostname="$hostname$"</param>
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, '$click.value$' is always the cell value from the first column.

Assuming you have a search like

chart avg(duration) over user by host

and you click on a cell within a table configured with 'cell' drilldown, here's the full description of the keys available downstream:

$click.name$   -- the name of the first column (ie host)
$click.value$  -- the value of the first column, in the row you clicked upon. (bob)
$click.name2$  -- the name of the column clicked upon  (ie host172)
$click.value2$ -- the string value of the cell clicked  upon (ie 95.42)

So perhaps the first column of this table for some reason is actually blank? that's the only thing I can think of. Or maybe it's _time because _time values from chart/table drilldown cannot be used in stringreplace intentions (obscure but known limitation of custom drilldown wiring).

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, '$click.value$' is always the cell value from the first column.

Assuming you have a search like

chart avg(duration) over user by host

and you click on a cell within a table configured with 'cell' drilldown, here's the full description of the keys available downstream:

$click.name$   -- the name of the first column (ie host)
$click.value$  -- the value of the first column, in the row you clicked upon. (bob)
$click.name2$  -- the name of the column clicked upon  (ie host172)
$click.value2$ -- the string value of the cell clicked  upon (ie 95.42)

So perhaps the first column of this table for some reason is actually blank? that's the only thing I can think of. Or maybe it's _time because _time values from chart/table drilldown cannot be used in stringreplace intentions (obscure but known limitation of custom drilldown wiring).

caphrim007
Path Finder

Captain Obvious to the rescue here; duh Tim. Thanks nick, value was indeed the value of the first column, value2 the next, etc. Dunno how I missed that : )

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...