Dashboards & Visualizations

Can you help me with create a dashboard which compares 2 dates?

willadams
Contributor

I am trying to create a fairly static dashboard that shows a license day count down timer. I have the following CSV file with the following fields

Application Service, License Expiry Date

For example, the data looks like this (date,month, year)

ApplicationX, 31/12/2018
ApplicationY, 01/01/2019

What I am trying to do in SPLUNK is show a dashboard that looks like this:

ApplicationX | Number of Days to Expiry

The file is monitored for any changes.

This is the code I have written:

index="app_licensing"
| eval timenow=now()
| eval CurrentDate=strftime(now(),"%d-%m-%Y")
| eval Expiry=strptime("License Expiration Date", "%d-%m-%Y")
| eval "Expiry Time Left"=CurrentDate-Expiry
| table "Application Service", "Expiry Time Left"

OR

index="app_licensing"
| eval timenow=now()
| eval CurrentDate=strftime(now(),"%d-%m-%Y")
| eval Expiry=strptime("License Expiration Date", "%d-%m-%Y")
| eval "Expiry Time Left"=CurrentDate-Expiry
| stats count by "Application Service", "Expiry Time Left"

However, when this gets displayed, I do not see anything in the "Expiry Time Left" column or any data in the second stanza. Where have I gone wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@willadams,

Probably few things :

1. Your date format should be "%d/%m/%Y" ("/" instead of "-" )as per your example 31/12/2018
  2. Use single quote (') instead of (") in the variable name.
  3. You dont need to convert now() to strftime format since the calculation should be done in epoch format

So the difference is given in seconds and then you can convert to format you need (hours/days/months etc)
Please verify the variable name also. In the example it is 'License Expiry Date' and in search it is 'License Expiration Date'

index="app_licensing"
|eval "Expiry Time Left"=round(abs((now()-strptime('License Expiration Date',"%d/%m/%Y")))/86400,0)
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@willadams,

Probably few things :

1. Your date format should be "%d/%m/%Y" ("/" instead of "-" )as per your example 31/12/2018
  2. Use single quote (') instead of (") in the variable name.
  3. You dont need to convert now() to strftime format since the calculation should be done in epoch format

So the difference is given in seconds and then you can convert to format you need (hours/days/months etc)
Please verify the variable name also. In the example it is 'License Expiry Date' and in search it is 'License Expiration Date'

index="app_licensing"
|eval "Expiry Time Left"=round(abs((now()-strptime('License Expiration Date',"%d/%m/%Y")))/86400,0)
---
0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

Thanks. I am not interested in seconds as this is simply number of days to Expiration. I will work out how to convert the number of seconds to just be days in total. For example the dashboard will simply read

Application X has 63 days left until the license is expired
Application Y has 64 days left until the license is expired

Of course the above will just be numbers and I will use number values depending on the values.

Regarding the variable name it is "License Expiry Date"

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@willadams, what I meant is - by default it gives in second but in the above case, I have already converted to days by dividing it by 86400. So output of above search is in days. Let me know if you need any further assistance , otherwise accept it as answer/upvote. thanks

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...