Dashboards & Visualizations

Before and After graph (What-if)

winknotes
Path Finder

Hopefully I can explain this clearly. I'm trying to create a "what-if" dashboard. I'm trying to model moving a workload from one device to another. So the user could select a source device (dropdown), a destination device (second dropdown) and the workloads they want to move off the source device (multiselect dropdown). So just using IOPs as the metric, I'd like to display a graph that shows one line for current IOPs on the destination device along with a line that adds the IOPS from what's selected in the multiselect dropdown. This has proven to be quite difficult.

I've tried writing a single query to gather all of this to no avail. There has to be a way to do this but I sure can't think of one. Any ideas?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Do you actually have the device.metric numbers broken out by workload?

| mstats max(device.metric1) AS IOPs 
    WHERE index=my_index 
    AND (device_name=destination_device OR device_name=source_device)
    span=5m by workloadname device_name
| eval State="Before"

This should give you events for every 5m increment that look like

| table _time workloadname device_name IOPs State

now we just have to put them together a different way

| appendpipe [|eval State="After" | eval device_name=if(workloadname="mysample","destination_device",device_name)]

that gives you two sets of events all in the same query.

| stats sum(IOPs) as IOPs by _time State device_name  

And then you can present the results how you want.

0 Karma

winknotes
Path Finder

Thank you DalJeanis. This gives me a good start. I don't quite understand this line:

| appendpipe [| eval State="After" | eval device_name=if(workloadname="mysample", "destination_device", device_name)]

Specifically is "mysample" and "destination_device" literal strings or do those represent actual values? I guess I don't understand that line in general as you can probably tell by my question.

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

@winknotes This sounds possible, but it would help if you showed your query, what it's resulting in, and a mock up of your desired state as well. This way we can help you change your query to go from where you to where you want to be.

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

winknotes
Path Finder

hehe i was trying to avoid the embarrassment of posting a query because frankly I can't find one that works. BUT here goes (keeping it generic). Also in the dashboard the values for device_name and workloadname would be represented by tokens, but for clarity I'm pretending this isn't part of a dashboard.

This would be the "before" query:

| mstats max(device.metric1) AS IOPs WHERE index=my_index AND device_name=destination_device span=5m
| timechart max(IOPs) as IOPs

This would be the query for the workloads that I'd like to add to the above values but can't figure out how to combine it all:

|mstats max(device.metric2) AS IOPs WHERE index=my_index AND workloadname=workload1 OR workloadname=workload2 span=5m by workloadname
| timechart sum(IOPs) as IOPs

This would produce a graph with two lines (again forgive the crude drawing). Not sure if my picture uploaded but if not just a line graph representing before and after is what I'm looking for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...