Dashboards & Visualizations

Automatically Refresh Dashboard

philallen1
Path Finder

Hi

The xml for my Dashboard consists of multiple chart tags within a dashboard tag. What can I add to it to make the Dashboard automatically refresh? I don't have a view tag to add the refresh parameter in?

dashboard
    chart
    /chart
    chart
    /chart
/dashboard

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, but I can't figure it out to save my life.

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

jonuwz
Influencer

answer here

Use the refresh attribute to set how frequently, in seconds, to refresh the dashboard.

For example, <dashboard refresh="30"> sets the refresh rate to 30 seconds.

View solution in original post

jonuwz
Influencer

answer here

Use the refresh attribute to set how frequently, in seconds, to refresh the dashboard.

For example, <dashboard refresh="30"> sets the refresh rate to 30 seconds.

maheshkk444
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Use refresh attribute in form tag, and attribute value is in seconds. 

<form refresh="15">

Dashboard will auto refresh in 15 seconds.

0 Karma

tred23
Path Finder

Thank you. This worked for me.

0 Karma

psneathen

This worked great for us. Thank you.

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

Yes. But not in simple XML. See here

For non-saved searched, the answer is quite simple.
For saved searches, its a bit more complicated - I posted an answer of at the bottom of the link that accomodates this.

0 Karma

philallen1
Path Finder

Thanks jonuwz. That works.

Out of interest, do you know how I can make individual charts refresh, rather than the whole page? If it is something simple, like adding in a 'refresh' parameter into their tags, then great. If it is more complicated than that, then I will pose the question separately.

ro_mc
Path Finder

Adding to sherm77's response, you can set the refresh type and refresh interval for individual panels using the <search> element.

The <refreshType> element is either 'interval' or 'delay'. A value of 'interval' means a <refresh> value of 30 seconds causes a refresh every 30 seconds regardless of the state of the search. A value of 'delay' means the 30 second countdown only begins once the search has completed.

Example Usage:

<form>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query> ... </query>
          <earliest>-60m@m</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <refresh>60</refresh>
          <refreshType>delay</refreshType>
        </search>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

0 Karma

sherm77
Path Finder

Here is the reference page for the different options for Simple XML: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

Do a search in the page for "refresh" in this page and you'll find 48 occurrences. The answer by @jonuwz is still accurate in 6.1.4, but there are more options in Simple XML in the newer versions, but they aren't all the same, so check out the options.

This is how you get a chart to refresh every 10 seconds.. IMHO, this looks a whole lot better than the entire page refreshing. You can even stagger the refreshes so all of the panels don't go blank at the same time. Also take in consideration how long it takes to load the individual panels.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...