Splunk Search

split the filed with a hyphen "-" separator

Allampally
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I have a index below and i want to split the index values and create a new field with it.
Example
index=app-production
index=app-sit
index=app-uat.... etc.
i want to create a new filed as "Environment" and add the splitted values to it such as
Environment field should have "production, sit, uat, .." values

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Allampally

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH | eval Environment=mvindex(split(index,"-"),1)

Sample search:

| makeresults | eval index="app-production" | eval Environment=mvindex(split(index,"-"),1)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @Allampally,

Both solutions here from @kamlesh_vaghela and @koshyk will do what you're looking for. If you need a more permanent solution please add the following to your sourcetype in props.conf:

[yoursourcetype]
EVAL-Environment=mvindex(split(index,"-"),1)

This will always include the Environment search in all your queries without having to append anything to your search.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

alternatively you could use rex command too

| makeresults | eval index="app-production" | rex field=index "\w+\-(?<Environment>\w+)"

cheers

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Allampally

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH | eval Environment=mvindex(split(index,"-"),1)

Sample search:

| makeresults | eval index="app-production" | eval Environment=mvindex(split(index,"-"),1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...