All Apps and Add-ons

using output from a query as the query for another query

ChrisCLewis
Communicator

I am using the Custom Radar add on visualization. It requires using |makeresults to generate the data needed to create the graph.
I have worked out how to run a query that produces the |makeresults needed but I can't work out how to use that output as the query for a search.

Is this something people have looked at (not just for the add on).

Many thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisCLewis
Communicator

I have found the solution:

You assign the output with a token using the following:

set token="field_token">$result.base$

Then in another panel you use the following query
|loadjob $field_token$

result.base only takes the first value for the field which is fine as all the results have been combined. I found it when looking into tokens and id's for searches (https://answers.splunk.com/answers/660087/why-is-the-token-resultfield-not-populating-as-def.html).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ChrisCLewis
Communicator

I have found the solution:

You assign the output with a token using the following:

set token="field_token">$result.base$

Then in another panel you use the following query
|loadjob $field_token$

result.base only takes the first value for the field which is fine as all the results have been combined. I found it when looking into tokens and id's for searches (https://answers.splunk.com/answers/660087/why-is-the-token-resultfield-not-populating-as-def.html).

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

can you post the SPL you have so far?

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ChrisCLewis
Communicator

Many thanks for the speedy reply, the SPL is:

index="foo" Name="bar" NOT delta="epsilon*" Number !=""
|stats values(Number) as number by Date Description
|sort Date
|lookup data Date OUTPUT colour as hue
|eval niche=",".Description."=".number
|stats values(hue) as hue values(niche) as niche by Date
| nomv niche
|eval base= "| append[| makeresults |eval key=\"".Date."\" ".niche."| untable key,\"axis\",\"value\" | eval keyColor=\"".hue."\"]"
|stats values(base) as base
|mvcombine delim=" " base
|nomv base
|stats values(base)

This is the output from the SPL which is a search that the add on would accept
| append[| makeresults |eval key="201705" ,variable1=0 ,variable2=1 ,variable3=2 ,variable4=5 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="magenta"] | append[| makeresults |eval key="201805" ,variable1=3 ,variable2=5 ,variable3=1 ,variable4=3 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="blue"] | append[| makeresults |eval key="201905" ,variable1=2 ,variable2=2 ,variable3=1 ,variable4=1 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="green"]

0 Karma

ChrisCLewis
Communicator

Many thanks for a speedy reply
This is the code
index="foo" Name="bar" NOT delta="epsilon*" Number !=""
|stats values(Number) as number by Date Description
|sort Date
|lookup data Date OUTPUT colour as hue
|eval niche=",".Description."=".number
|stats values(hue) as hue values(niche) as niche by Date
| nomv niche
|eval base= "| append[| makeresults |eval key=\"".Date."\" ".niche."| untable key,\"axis\",\"value\" | eval keyColor=\"".hue."\"]"
|stats values(base) as base
|mvcombine delim=" " base
|nomv base
|stats values(base)

If there were three time periods it produces this output which is needed for the visualization - now need to turn the output into it's own query...
base
| append[| makeresults |eval key="201705" ,variable1=0 ,variable2=1 ,variable3=2 ,variable4=5 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="magenta"] | append[| makeresults |eval key="201805" ,variable1=3 ,variable2=5 ,variable3=1 ,variable4=3 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="blue"] | append[| makeresults |eval key="201905" ,variable1=2 ,variable2=2 ,variable3=1 ,variable4=1 | untable key,"axis","value" | eval keyColor="green"]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...