All Apps and Add-ons

ldapsearch error_message=password is mandatory in simple bind

nalia_v
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi.
I observe a problem with requests to my controller through the application Ldapsearch.
Users (with the role Power) cannot fulfill the request through.
An error occurs while executing the request
External search command 'ldapsearch' returned error code 1. Script output = "error_message=password is mandatory in simple bind ".
See attachment.

I, under the role of administrator (Admin), easily perform ldap requests.
Stanza is configured correctly. The connection test passes.

The account under which requests are made in ldap and integration with AD in attribute worth the value UserAccountControl - DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWORD.
Users with the Power role have been granted application ldapsearch rights

Please, what other suggestions could there be ?
alt text

0 Karma

jamesdsteel
Explorer

Try adding the "list_storage_passwords" capability to the role of users who need to use the ldapsearch commands directly. This allows the users to retrieve the configured passwords for each bind account so that Splunk can make LDAP requests.

I would recommend adding a new role with this capability and adding that role to users who need to be able to use ldapsearch commands, as the "list_storage_passwords" capability will allow them to hit the REST endpoint and view passwords stored in Splunk in cleartext.

The admin role will automatically have this capability, which is why it works.

jbuckner85
Path Finder

This solution worked in our environment.

0 Karma

nalia_v

alt text

Adding Attributes to the Request

0 Karma

nalia_v

alt text

0 Karma

nalia_v

alt text

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator
0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

can you double check that credentials have been set in the add-on configuration page:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SA-LdapSearch/3.0.1/User/ConfiguretheSplunkSupportingAdd-onfor...

0 Karma

nalia_v

Hi PavelP
I can check three times if this gives a positive result.
But as I said, the request can be fulfilled only under the role of the Admin.
Above, I attached a screenshot of my configuration.

0 Karma

nalia_v

PavelP Thanks helped !!
I didn’t look at the page for setting up this application before.
The addition of this admin_all_objects capability helped.
@PavelP Please tell me one request if you know.
I don’t want to create another ticket separately )

The essence of the request, the first request to pull out users connected via VPN from the fortigate index, in which only the user from a certain department filters out the subquery by ldap.
The output output works out as it should, BUT I still want to output the attribute CN. Full name last name middle name.
Here I can’t understand how to add this attribute to the request to display.
Screenshots in the attachment

Tried to execute the request with I tried to fulfill the request to add the CN attribute to the search, as well as the option attrs="cn,sAMAccountName"
search="(&(objectClass=user)(cn=*))" attrs="cn,sAMAccountName"

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

you can first try with ldapsearch CLI tool to get the LDAP query right.

please accept the previous answer/comment as solution (alternatively I can convert my comment to an answer) so everybody can benefit from it.

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

have you checked that the user has admin_all_objects capability as mentioned in the article?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...