All Apps and Add-ons

aws.conf file confusion

poissanb
Engager

Within the aws.conf file there are 3 stanzas.

Keys, Regions, and Misc.

[keys]
In the Keys section it states to format your information like the following:
=

and provides the following example:
1122334455 = mycomapny-name AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA +++++BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB/BBBB 10000

• I'm hoping I'm just getting caught up in the example, as for me, my account number on AWS is 12 digits not 10, and that's without dashes. So if this is indeed the AWS Account Number that appears in the upper right section of your Console, it would be a 12-digit number either in the format of 1111-2222-3333, or 111122223333 ...right?

• I am assuming, and perhaps incorrectly, that this has absolutely nothing to do with authorization and authentication on the AWS side, as the accounts for AWS (short of IAM accounts) are not aligned to groups. I have been setting this to any string value that omits spaces.

• This one made sense...again, to me.

• This one also made sense.

[Regions]
From what I can tell all applicable regions have been defined and are active in the example provided.

[Misc]
Here is where things got a little challenging.

Is there a difference between in the [keys] stanza and the located in the [misc] stanza?

Are there any additional steps that need to be followed once the aws.conf file is properly populated?

Thanks in advance !

davidts
Path Finder

Hi..I am a bit confused still.

Is the purpose of the [keys] stanza to list your Master Billing Account access details AND your linked account access details? i.e.

[keys]
master_account_no = name access_key secret_key limit
01linked_account_no = name access_key secret_key limit
02linked_account_no = name access_key secret_key limit
03linked_account_no = name access_key secret_key limit

[misc]
corpkey = name access_key secret_key
acno = master_account_no
s3bucket = bucket_name

Is this how it should look like?

0 Karma

dwinter33

Is the corp stuff required to make the billing work? The account I entered on the Keys stanza is the master biller account already.

0 Karma

nkhetia
Path Finder

yes, it is required in order to get billing work. master account will have to be in [keys] stanza as well as in [misc] stanza.

0 Karma

nkhetia
Path Finder

Hi Brian,

we've resolved this problem long back offline but i would like to reply here so that it will be helpful to others. Thanks to Austin Maze for sending this unanswered post.

[keys]

accountno - would be 12 digit aws account number without dashes.

company/group name - this can be used as internal identifier to mention linked and master aws accounts within your company.

aws-access-keys - self explanatory

aws-secret-key - self explanatory

[regions] - self explanatory

[misc]

• this stanza needs to be configured for billing data.

• specify master aws account name as company name or corp account name - this is internal identifier.

corpkey = mycompany aws-access-key aws-secret-key

acno = <12 digit aws account number without dashes for master account>

• there is a concept in aws to link all accounts to one master account, when there are more than one aws accounts exist for the same organization. These accounts are identified as "linked accounts". Billing is consolidated for all accounts and sent to one account which will be treated as master account.

*** master account will have to be in [keys] stanza as well as in [misc] stanza.**

s3bucket = aws-splunk

• s3 bucket name should be in all lowercases.

• Restart splunk after all configuration is done.

Hope this will be helpful.

thx

-Nilesh

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...