All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the Splunk App for Unix and Linux not extracting fields?

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

Hello

am doing POC on host metrics using Splunk App for Unix and Linux

i have installed *Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux on my 5- forwarders and indexer* and enabled scripted inputs.
i have installed *Splunk App for Unix app on my search head*.
i can see events when i perform search . the problem it is not extracting fields.

alt text

can any one please help me how can i extract the fields??

thanks in advance

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The main reason for this is that you are using search mode of Fast or Smart instead of Verbose. Look under the timepicker value on the very right and set it to Verbose!

0 Karma

bmo017
Path Finder

You might want to check the btool pulls you get from your various devices. You might have some conflicts with where you have installed the *nix apps.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles

In the link above you can read where your apps are in precidence order. If you wish, upload a debug btool pull for your inputs and outputs files and post them here for further help.

0 Karma

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

thanks for your response.

you mentioned conflicts, can i know what conflicts i may come across??

btool pull for inputs that i have enabled for app and outputs for??

0 Karma

bmo017
Path Finder

Some of the conflicts you would like to look for is for example, in the inputs .conf btool pull. You may have some files living in the $SPLUNK_PATH/etc/system/local directory, if this is the case the local directory will take precedence over the apps and not allow your apps inputs in this case to take effect because of the configuration file precedence.

To see a detailed breakdown of the btool pulls something similar to below:

$SPLUNK_PATH/etc/bin/splunk btool inputs list --debug

This should show you the list of everywhere the inputs configuration files live that is built into the running Splunk config.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Troubleshooting/Usebtooltotroubleshootconfigurati...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...