All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the CIS Critical Security Controls app script exiting abnormally?

aperez_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 10:42 AM
To: Anthony Perez
Subject: CIS controls app issues

Good day,

I wanted to contact you to inquire as to whether there is a common issue, which I believe to be experiencing with the CIS Critical Security Controls app. I am getting several errors when the python scripts in /bin try to fire off, as you can see in the screenshot:
alt text

I am running Splunk 6.5.2, and using your newest version of the app, freshly installed from Splunkbase.

Thanks!

0 Karma

aperez_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Travis,

Thank you very much for the outreach on this.

At first glance, it looks like the threat info/intel downloader scripts are all failing.

This most often occurs when the instance of python installed on the search head that the CIS app is installed on is located in a non-standard location.

As a first check:

1. Navigate to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/cis-controls-app-for-splunk/bin/ directory
  2. Check the path variable (e.g., python_bin = '/usr/bin/python') specified in one of the scripts throwing an error
  3. Verify that your search head has an instance of python in that location
  4. If python is NOT installed in that location, update the script to point to the location where python is installed on the search head
  5. Post an update for us here and I'll reconnect with you for next steps (or give you a virtual high-five for getting it fixed)

Separately, I've created an action to update this aspect of the download scripts in the next iteration of the app to make it a little more robust. Unfortunately the next rev probably won't be ready to publish until the end of April/beginning of May 2017.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...