All Apps and Add-ons

Why is host=$decideOnStartup for Splunk Stream, but not other events?

dokaas_2
Path Finder

I have several Windows servers that the host=$decideOnStartup, but other Windows events correctly provide the Windows host name.  

Any ideas why and how to correct this?

Labels (2)
Tags (3)

Dave_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Having only splunk stream show "$decideOnStartup" in the hostname of events, while other inputs correctly reflect the real hostname is a known bug in version 7.3.0 and earlier

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/StreamApp/7.3.0/ReleaseNotes/Knownissues 

Issue ID: STREAM-4641, STREAM-4635

When I installed version 7.4.0 and this problem vanished for my system.

0 Karma

Recyclops

I have updated to 7.4 and host still equals $decideOnStartup for all Stream logs.  Are there any input.conf file changes required?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dokaas_2,

Some modular inputs including streamfwd do not respect $decideOnStartup variable. 

I think you deleted $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local\inputs.conf file or delete host definition. Normally inputs gets the %COMPUTERNAME% environment variable to use as host field, but stream app.

As a resolution you should create inputs.conf on the forwarders that runs Stream add-on like below sample;

[default]
host = system_hostname

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...