All Apps and Add-ons

Why is SA-Eventgen not working with Windows?

gamatronics
Engager

I have scoured the answers on this board, read every tutorial, seen youtube videos, but I'm still not able to get my eventgen to generate any data. Just as context, I'm trying to do the example exercises on the Splunk 7 Essentials book. They describe how to intall SA-Eventgen ant how to install sample files, data files, eventget.conf etc. but it is still not working for me.

I think I'm missing something very basic, according to all the answers. When something goes wrong, you're supposed to look into the log file, or in this case the eventgen log file. I go into Splunk home/var/log/splunk and I don't even see the log file.

On the Splunk query line, I'm using "index=main", but I'm not able to see anything.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try

index=_internal sourcetype=*eventgen* 

I believe eventgen keeps a log in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/eventgen

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@gamatronics

I think you have to enable modular input for SA Eventgen.
Go to: Setting->Data inputs » SA-Eventgen and enable eventgen_modinput.

0 Karma

tangym

This works for me thanks

0 Karma

dauren_akilbeko
Communicator

What version of Splunk and Eventgen are you using?

0 Karma

gamatronics
Engager

Splunk Enterprise 7.2.1
Eventgen 6.3.0, I downloaded it from https://github.com/splunk/eventgen

0 Karma

dauren_akilbeko
Communicator
0 Karma

dauren_akilbeko
Communicator

Yeah checked it on windows 10, splunk 7.2.1 and eventgen 6.3.1, it doesn't work for me either.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...