All Apps and Add-ons

Why are we unable to connect to Netezza using Splunk DB Connect and Splunk 6.5.0 with error "Failed to get driver instance..."

MSISplunk
Engager

The error we are getting:

Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to get driver instance for jdbcUrl=jdbc:netezza://10.121.10.232:5480/AMBER_DB
2016-10-05T10:43:10-0400 [ERROR] [rh_connections.py], line 225: exception java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to get driver instance for jdbcUrl=jdbc:netezza://10.121.10.232:5480/AMBER_DB

The Netezza stanza in the connection_type.conf

[Netezza]
displayName = Netezza
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.postgres.PostgresJDBC
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:netezza://:/
jdbcDriverClass = org.netezza.Driver

The driver is in the
/home/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/lib/nzjdbc.jar

Successfullly tested the jdbc using java command.

Any insight anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-WD

nick405060
Motivator

I fixed the problem as follows:

I upgraded from jre7 to jre8 (you're probably already correctly on jre8), got the same error message in the original question here except with sqlserver, tried reloading drivers, still got the same message. Then I looked in /home/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/lib and the only driver was rpcserver-all.jar. I downloaded sqljdbc42.jar from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11774, again, this was for my case using sqlserver), and then reloaded drivers, and restarted the RPC server again, and that fixed the error! (I'm getting a separate error now, but fixed the error message that this question refers to)

marcoscala
Builder

we have the similar issue with Splunk 6.5.1 and Splunk DB Connect v.2.4.0. We can connect and make queries to Netezza but occasionally we get the same issue. To solve it we have to run the "reload" button in the Settings-Drivers tab.

Our config in db_connection_type.conf is slightly different:

[netezza]
displayName = IBM Netezza
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:netezza://:/
jdbcDriverClass = org.netezza.Driver

supportedVersions = 7.0

database = testDB
port = 5480
testQuery = SELECT 1 AS test

0 Karma

marcoscala
Builder

our driver file is "nzjdbc3.jar".

0 Karma

seegeekrun
Path Finder

We're seeing the same issue. When in the UI, the validation fails when loading the driver. The same workaround of going to the Settings and Reloading the drivers temporarily allowing the connection to be completed or a query setup.

0 Karma

marcoscala
Builder

any idea on how to call this "Reload" maybe via REST API? We could the automate the workaround via alert+script! We already have an alert to warn us of this error...

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

that looks like Java won't load the driver, could be incompatible, or it could be a permissions thing

0 Karma

t183194
Explorer

I am having the same issue. Wouild really appreciate any help...
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to get driver instance for jdbcUrl=jdbc:netezza://ip:port/database

tmwilkin

No insight but I have the same problem, different JDBC driver. I seem to be able to make JDBC work in other tools, but I have failed to get one added into Splunk (6.5.1) yet.

-Todd

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...