All Apps and Add-ons
Highlighted

WebTools App - How to make GET without basic authentication

Path Finder

Using the latest version (1.2.0) of WebTools, I am running into an issue where I can’t do a cURL against an API using authentication provided in the header itself. WebTools appears to be forcing Basic authentication (unless Splunk authentication is specified, in which case it builds a custom header).

To demonstrate the issue, here is a vanilla cURL:

alt text

In this case, the API is complaining that that I forgot the X-Sysdig-Product header.

If I do the same request in Web Tools, I get a 401 Unauthorized instead of a 400 Bad Request:

alt text

Based on what I see in this app's curl.py file, basic authentication is always going to be sent to the "request" library get() method (unless Splunk authorization is specified; then the get call in the 'else' block is selected). I would suggest that "def get(..." in curl.py is modified so that the requests.get() call does not send "auth=(user,password)", if both the user and password inputs are set to the default "None".

try:
if sessionKey == None:
if user ==None and password == None:
r = requests.get(uri,data=payload,verify=verifyssl, headers=headers, timeout=timeout)
else:

r = requests.get(uri,auth=(user,password),data=payload,verify=verifyssl, headers=headers, timeout=timeout)
else:
(…)

Highlighted

Re: WebTools App - How to make GET without basic authentication

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

nice writeup, i'll work on this asap... note asap is not always fast in my case 🙂

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please see version 1.2.2 here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4146/

Thanks for the bug report!

View solution in original post

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any chance you can come back and confirm if the new version fixed the problem?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Yes, the new version fixed the problem. Thanks!