All Apps and Add-ons

Using app.manifest file of Splunk Packaging Toolkit to declare app dependencies

sharad06
Explorer

Hi experts,

Recently I read a bit about the Splunk Packaging Toolkit (http://dev.splunk.com/view/packaging-toolkit/SP-CAAAE9V) and got to know that apart from a lot of other utilities, it can also be used to declare your app dependencies using an app.manifest file. Has anyone tried declaring app dependencies using this toolkit before?

I have an app that's divided into three parts (dashboards app, TA, TA for Adaptive Response). I want to be able to define simple dependencies within these apps that would warn the user by telling something like 'TA is a required app for using TA-AR. Please install TA before proceeding with TA-AR installation'.

From all that I've read about the app.manifest file, it allows the developer to define a dependencies stanza and list all required apps. However, I haven't been able to find any examples of how to write this file, where to place it in the app directory structure and whether or not app.manifest can be defined without using the entire Splunk Packaging Toolkit.

Thanks.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, we declare dependencies, as required. However, most versions of Splunk don't use it yet, it's framework for "later". So quick rundown:

1. Place app.manifest in the / of the App/TA.
  2. You can hand create it, sure! It's just a json file.
  3. Below is a sample! Notice how dependencies are declared. You don't even need to bundle them!

{

"schemaVersion":"1.0.0",
    "info":{

"title":"My TA Label",
    "id":{

"group":null,
    "name":"MyTA_Folder_Name",
    "version":"0.1.0"
    },
    "author":[

{

"name":"TheBigHead",
    "email":null,
    "company":null
    }
    ],
    "releaseDate":null,
    "description":"WTF It's a Description!?",
    "classification":{

"intendedAudience":"MyTech Administrators, Network Operators",
    "categories":[

"security",
    "myta"
    ],
    "developmentStatus":"Production/Stable"
    },
    "releaseNotes":{

"name":"README",
    "text":"./README.md",
    "uri":null
    }
    },
    "dependencies":{

"ta_myta":{

"version":">=7.0.1",
    "package":null
    }
    },
    "platformRequirements":{

"splunk":{

"Enterprise":">=6.6.0"
    }
    }
    }

sharad06
Explorer

Thanks a lot, alacercogitatus. I see you mentioned that this is a framework for later. Is it supported on Splunk Enterprise 6.5?
The reason I ask this question is that I'm using Splunk Enterprise 6.5 right now and after I copied the above app.manifest in my TA-AR (with some changes) and defined dependencies on my TA, I see no warnings on installation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...