All Apps and Add-ons

Using DB Connect to connect SQL Express instance

amulay26
Path Finder

I am trying to connect to a SQL Express Instance that is running on the MSSQL server. Tried using the edit URL option in order to explicitly mention the instance name. However it still causes issues and throws an error "Connection failed for user : user"

Is it necessary to have jtds driver instead of jdbc driver for the connection to SQL Express instance?

Thanks,
Akshay.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

My line of debug would be to
1. Ensure there is NO firewall or blocks between your server & the SQL server
2. Run a jdbc connectivity test via command line if possible. (Using a tool or some java code) and try using the driver which you have used in DBconnect and same credentials
3. The error mostly seems is related to USER authentication. Have a check on the logs in MSSQL server
4. Now try playing around within DBconnect. Try a SQL server which you know works and see the string for any small spelling mistakes

0 Karma

amulay26
Path Finder

Actually, did all that stuff for over a week.

Eventually used jTDS driver and edited the URL manually. It was able to make a connection. However, one question that comes to my mind is why did JDBC driver did not like connection to SQL Express Instance.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

strange. Are you sure you have the correct MSSQL JDBC server driver and version? (there are plenty of drivers, so just double checking about correct version and DBconnect compatible one)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.4/DeployDBX/Installdatabasedrivers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/jdbc/microsoft-jdbc-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-serv...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...