All Apps and Add-ons

Users logging windows on two machines at the same time

sergeimartao
Explorer

I'm trying to find out which users are logging on two machines at the same time (sharing login)

I already know some log fields and started to make a sketch, but I think I'm on the wrong track ...

host=ADServer sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" NOT User=*$ EventCode=540 OR EventCode=538 | transaction startswith=EventCode="540" endswith=EventCode="538" | eval duration=tostring(duration,"duration") | table _time user duration name EventCode ComputerName Source_Network_Address

What I would do was to show just who logged in more than two machines. Could someone help me

0 Karma

sergeimartao
Explorer

Hello, jcoates_splunk

I managed to create the report using this search

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" OR (EventCode=540 OR EventCode=4624) NOT (user=*$ OR user="ANONYMOUS LOGON" OR user=SYSTEM OR user=services OR user=Unknown)
| stats dc(src_ip) as Number_logged_hosts, values(src_ip) as "Logins IPs, values(dvc) as "Domains Controller", count by user

| rename user as Users, count as Total_time_logged_in
| where Number_logged_hosts>1
| sort -Number_logged_hosts Users

renatobamorim
Explorer

If the user logged off from the host before login on the other? On this case you'll alert the both, or not?

0 Karma

psharkey
Explorer

Sergei - you are missing a close quote " after values(src_ip) as "Logins IPs.
It should read:
values(src_ip) as "Logins IPs", ...

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi, since the data is tagged for CIM, it should be easier to use tags and eventtypes:
tag=authentication eventtype="windows_logon*" | eventstats count(dest) as dest_count by user | timechart max(dest_count) by user

If you have the CIM installed I also got good results with Search->Pivot -> Authentication -> Successful Authentication. I added a filter for Sourcetype starts with win*, split the row by user, and the column by dest to get a table. Or use the scatter plot to map distinct counts of users and dests.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...