All Apps and Add-ons

Universal Forwarder: How to install app and configure input.conf?

giorgiovolpini

HI, I have a Win10 64bit environment with Splunk Enterprise instance and UF instance.

I tried to send data using the File Metadata app to send data from UF (local) to Splunk Ent (local) to test the app with forwarder.

I copied the decompressed folder into SplunkUniversalForwarder/etc/apps and set output and input. I restarted the service but i didn't received data on the main index.

The input.conf configuration file look like this:

input.conf

[file_meta_data://Test]
depth_limit=0
file_hash_limit=500MB
file_path=C:\mypath\DaMonitorare
include_file_hash=0
index=main
interval=2m
only_if_changed=0
recurse=1
disabled=0

The UF works fine using a simple folder monitoring configuration like

[monitor://C:\mypath\tosplunk]
disabled = false
index = main

I have Python 2.7.1 installed on my machine (and also python 3).

Can you help me?

Do you have a guide to install and configure on UF on Windows environment step by step or some suggestions?

Thank you

Giorgio

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

That app requires Python to execute. This means you either need to install Python 2.7 or use a heavy forwarder.

0 Karma

giorgiovolpini

Thank you for your answer,

but I installed Python 2.7.15 (installation folder "C:\Python27") and configured the "path" environment variable (C:\Python\python).

I tried with 64 and 32 bit python version, but in both cases I had the same error on UF splunkd log file:

"09-18-2019 10:47:10.099 +0200 ERROR ModularInputs - Introspecting scheme=file_meta_data: Unable to run "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\file_meta_data\bin\file_meta_data.py" --scheme": child failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified.
09-18-2019 10:47:10.356 +0200 WARN UserManagerPro - Can't find [distributedSearch] stanza in distsearch.conf, using default authtoken HTTP timeouts
09-18-2019 10:47:10.356 +0200 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "file_meta_data" defined in the app "file_meta_data": Introspecting scheme=file_meta_data: Unable to run "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\file_meta_data\bin\file_meta_data.py" --scheme": child failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified.."

Do you have some suggestions?

Thank you

Giorgio

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

You might just want to use a Heavy Forwarder. This includes Python and should work straight-away.

0 Karma

giorgiovolpini

Thank you,

but i need to use a Universal Forwarder for many reasons.

I'm testing the app locally, so it could be an environment issue (I also have a Splunk Enterprise instance to develop dashboard and apps on my machine).

However I tried on other windows machine (Win10 64bit + python 2.7.15 installed) with the same error.

Have you ever installed and tested the app with UF on a windows 10 OS? (or on nix environment)

Thank you

Giorgio

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I have tested it and I know other people are using it with a UF. I also have unit tests which verify that the functionality works with non-Splunk Python. I checked and re-ran them today and they passed.

giorgiovolpini

Thank you,

so it should be my environment, I will try again.

In any cases, the steps to follow are:
1) Install and configure UF to send data to an Indexer
2) Install Python 2.7.15 (on c:\Python27)
3) Unzip the app into SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\
4) Add configuration into input.conf file (I used the input.conf in the UF search app folder)
5) Restart the UF

Is it correct?

Thanks a lot

0 Karma

giorgiovolpini

SOLVED||

The problem was the "path" system evironment variable!

I setted the variable with a wrong path.

Now it works fine

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...