All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to install Universal forwarder on Solaris Sparc

catch_mili
Explorer

Facing problem with Universal forwarder installation on Solaris Sparc.
It throws an below error,

Could not create a lock in the SPLUNK_DB directory.
Filesystem type is not supported: buf.f_basetype = tmpfs
If supporting this filesystem type is important to you, please file an Enhancement R equest with Splunk Support with the fs info number listed.
Locking test failed on filesystem in path /tmp/splunk/splunk/var/lib/splunk with cod

Installing Forwarder in /tmp/. Is is mandatory to install forwarder in /Opt ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, but like the error message says, the storage area for Splunk's indexes needs to lie on a filesystem that's supported. tmpfs is not supported - and shouldn't be; it's not a persistent filesystem so everything in there will be wiped upon reboot.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi catch_mili

it is not mandatory to install it in /opt, you can install it on any support file system. You tried to install splunk> in the memory = /tmp which is not support as the error message states.

you can find here a table of all supported file systems or take a look at this table:

Platform    File systems
Linux       ext2/3/4, reiser3, XFS, NFS 3/4
Solaris     UFS, ZFS, VXFS, NFS 3/4
FreeBSD     FFS, UFS, NFS 3/4, ZFS
Mac OS X    HFS, NFS 3/4
AIX         JFS, JFS2, NFS 3/4
HP-UX       VXFS, NFS 3/4
Windows     NTFS, FAT32

cherrs,
MuS

catch_mili
Explorer

Thanks. it worked.
I have installed in home directory.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you can install in the home directory of your user for example. just follow the solaris install guide http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/InstallonSolaris

0 Karma

catch_mili
Explorer

I am new to Solaris & dont have any idea, now what needs to be done.
Do i need to install it in other directory. Because i dont have /opt access of that server.
When i tried to move forwarder into /opt, it throws below error.
Sorry, user gwtest is not allowed to execute '/bin/mv splunk /opt/' as root on tasuatsa

This the client POC server & provided with sudo access.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...