All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to install Universal forwarder on Solaris Sparc

catch_mili
Explorer

Facing problem with Universal forwarder installation on Solaris Sparc.
It throws an below error,

Could not create a lock in the SPLUNK_DB directory.
Filesystem type is not supported: buf.f_basetype = tmpfs
If supporting this filesystem type is important to you, please file an Enhancement R equest with Splunk Support with the fs info number listed.
Locking test failed on filesystem in path /tmp/splunk/splunk/var/lib/splunk with cod

Installing Forwarder in /tmp/. Is is mandatory to install forwarder in /Opt ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, but like the error message says, the storage area for Splunk's indexes needs to lie on a filesystem that's supported. tmpfs is not supported - and shouldn't be; it's not a persistent filesystem so everything in there will be wiped upon reboot.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi catch_mili

it is not mandatory to install it in /opt, you can install it on any support file system. You tried to install splunk> in the memory = /tmp which is not support as the error message states.

you can find here a table of all supported file systems or take a look at this table:

Platform    File systems
Linux       ext2/3/4, reiser3, XFS, NFS 3/4
Solaris     UFS, ZFS, VXFS, NFS 3/4
FreeBSD     FFS, UFS, NFS 3/4, ZFS
Mac OS X    HFS, NFS 3/4
AIX         JFS, JFS2, NFS 3/4
HP-UX       VXFS, NFS 3/4
Windows     NTFS, FAT32

cherrs,
MuS

catch_mili
Explorer

Thanks. it worked.
I have installed in home directory.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

you can install in the home directory of your user for example. just follow the solaris install guide http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/InstallonSolaris

0 Karma

catch_mili
Explorer

I am new to Solaris & dont have any idea, now what needs to be done.
Do i need to install it in other directory. Because i dont have /opt access of that server.
When i tried to move forwarder into /opt, it throws below error.
Sorry, user gwtest is not allowed to execute '/bin/mv splunk /opt/' as root on tasuatsa

This the client POC server & provided with sudo access.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...